Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Want to add more memory to my computer

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
I have 4 gb memory on my desktop computer and I would like to add more. System Information tells me how much memory my computer has, but not what kind. As I remember, it would be written on the memories but then I need to open the computer only to check it and know what to buy. Is there any more simple way to know what memory I need without open the computer now?

#4 ·
Is there any more simple way to know what memory I need without open the computer now?
Yes.
Go here https://www.crucial.com/
press Start your scan. It will tell you how much and what type of RAM is installed. It will also tell you the maximum RAM you can install as well as the maximum size stick in each slot.
You do not have to buy your RAM from Crucial. Write down the information you are given and you can search for RAM at other sites.

#5 ·
Your other thread that you started yesterday says you have a desktop computer which is running Windows 7 Ultimate.

If it's a factory-brand one, what's its brand name and model name and model number and serial number?

If it's a self-built one, what's the brand name and model number of its motherboard?

Without us knowing one or the other, we cannot advise you how much RAM and what type RAM module it supports. :unsure:

--------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies. My computer is "home made", I mean, parts put together in 2011 :) and just running fine all this years with Win 7 ultimate 64 bits. But with all the updates that software requires, I know I need more memory. I run CPU-Z and it gave me the following infos. What I need to know to order more memory?

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
That ASUS P7P55D-E PRO motherboard has 4 DIMM slots and supports a maximum of 16 GB of RAM.

That means you can install a maximum of 4 GB in each DIMM slot.
4 GB x 4 = 16 GB

It uses 240-pin DDR3-1333 MHz, 1.5 volt, CL=9, Unbuffered, Non-ECC modules.

HERE are Crucial brand 2 GB modules ($11.65) and 4 GB modules ($18.73) with those same specs that you can choose from.

------------------------------------------------

#15 ·
Are you sure you currently have 1 x 4GB module (not 2 x 2GB or 4 x 1GB). Memory is usually installed in pairs, as it operates faster that way. Check the SPD tab in CPU-Z. There is a drop down menu for each slot there, so check each slot to see what it is populated with. If you are reusing your current memory, the new memory should be the same make & model, if possible. Otherwise, ensure the timings (CL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS) are exactly the same (9-9-9-24, in your case).

#16 ·
I was going to ask the same question that DRPC did in post #15.

Look inside the case and confirm if the motherboard has one 4 GB module or two 2 GB modules.

The amount of RAM you buy will depend on the amount of RAM you want in your computer.

I provided you with a link to Crucial brand 2 GB and 4 GB modules in post #11 so you can make a choice.

#19 ·
According to your images in post #17, slots #1 and #3 have Kingston 2 GB DDR3-1333 MHz modules.

Are you wanting to add 2 GB modules to the 2 empty slots and run your computer with 8 GB(2 GB X 4) of RAM?

Or are you wanting to add 4 GB modules to all 4 slots and run your computer with 16 GB(4 GB X 4) of RAM?

Can you submit an image of the CPU-Z "CPU" tab so we can see which processor is in your computer?

#21 ·
Liz:

You probably meant to say is it possible to keep 2 GB modules in slots 1 and 3 and add 4 GB modules in slots 2 and 4 and run the computer with 12 GB of RAM.

It would probably work that way, but putting the larger capacity 4 GB modules in slots 1 and 3 would be the better way to do it.

Slot 1 - 4 GB
Slot 3 - 4 GB
Slot 2 - 2 GB
Slot 4 - 2 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.