1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to buy a Network Storage Drive

Discussion in 'Networking' started by istanbulbaby, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. istanbulbaby

istanbulbaby Thread Starter

Hi guys

I have a simple(?) wi-fi set up at home - one laptop (Vista) and a PC (XP), both connected wirelessly. I allow sharing between the two computers and that works fine, except, of course, that the PC has to be switched on in order for us to access its data!

The 'simple' solution seems to me to be to buy an HDD for Network Storage and just have both computers access that. I plan to connect the HDD to my modem/router via ethernet cable.

The simple question is, does anyone recommend a particular HDD? I've done some research this morning and am leaning to either:

a. Buffalo LinkStation Live 500GB Shared Network Storage HS-DH500GL (£99.98 from Amazon)

b. Freecom External Network HDD 500GB USB2.0 LAN NAS Drive (£79.96 from Amazon)

Both seem reasonably priced and get good write-ups - I'm leaning towards the Buffalo. Does anyone have any thoughts or different recommendations? I reckon 500Gb is all I need for the time being and I'm not inclined to pay much more than £100...unless you advise otherwise!

2. nietsloh

nietsloh

Go with the Buffalo. Mostly good reviews for their products.

3. Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud

I am a fan of the HP Mediasmart Home Servers. Connect them to your router and you have a networked home server. 4 hot swappable internal hard drive bays, iTunes server, built in backup with raid for all connected pcs in the house. Nice.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have the D-Link DNS-323, and I think it blows the doors off most of the inexpensive units on the market. In addition, there is now a new model, the DNS-321, that's even cheaper and apparently has the same performance, just omitted a couple of features that I personally wouldn't have missed. Currently, www.newegg.com has the D-Link DNS-321 for $129 (no drives).

5. Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud

I think you may have it JohnWill for the more inexpensive units. I personally like the step up to the 4-bay HP EX470 MediaSmart Server (500gb filling one bay) or the EX475 (1tb filling two with raid). At $499 and $639 (Amazon) respectively they are a bit more expensive but with four hot swappable bays, iTunes server and a host of other goodies I think it is worth it. On top of it all ... this baby is handsome.

6. JohnWill

7. istanbulbaby

istanbulbaby Thread Starter

Many thanks for your help, guys, but this is rather running away. I just want to centralise my laptop and PC's working files; I am not aiming to spend £250-£300. Thanks, anyway - I do appreciate your interest.

8. Softies

Softies

9. JohnWill

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice