1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

want to compress and abuse my song files

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by changintimes, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. changintimes

changintimes Banned Thread Starter

hi everyone,

i have 15 songs almost ready for burning onto a cd,

i normalized them and they are at about 79% dbs, i want to keep them at that level,

and ofcoarse, some songs still sound louder than other songs,

so what is the formula ? how do i compress, hard limit or what ever with the song files to make them all sound the same volume to the human ear ?

i already experimented with one song file, i amplified to 2 dbs, then amplified again to -2 dbs, got that flattened out look on the wave spectrum, but the song sounded distorted,

other songs that already sound louder, that have that flattened out look on the wave spectrograph, don't sound distorted, how did they do that ???

thanks very much,

larry

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

MP3Gain is the best application I've ever found for normalizing the volume of MP3's.

Are these starting as MP3's, or are you starting from WAV files?

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

You might also just use the 'Normalize' function of your burning app. Nero has 2 ways to normalize. Again what are they, WAV's etc?

4. changintimes

hi john and mystic eyes,

mp3 gain is a great program,

my files are starting as wave files, i'm making compilation cds and i wanted to get as close to the source as possible, ripping with EAC, to wav,

5. JohnWill

MysticEyes, the Normalize function in Nero doesn't do nearly as good a job as MP3Gain. Of course, since these aren't MP3's, my solution doesn't work at all. :)

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Doesn't EAC have a Normalizing feature? CDex does.

Or you can try this free burning app with your WAVs, it has 'Replay Gain', which is what MP3Gain uses.

http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4

7. changintimes

it does but normalizing alone does not make all the song files sound the same volume to the human ear,

i will check out the program that you posted but i really want to keep all the files the same 79% dbs,

check out a hard rock song file in audacity, then check out a soft song and note the spectrograph, many hard rock songs have a flattened out look in the spectrograph,

8. JohnWill

The beauty of MP3Gain, (obviously only for MP3 files), is that it really does make all the tracks sound the same to the human ear. That's it's claim to fame.

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

I understand the theory and that is what Replay Gain addresses. I don't need to see a graph to understand the shortcomings of Peak normalization. Normalizing by peak levels generally makes files with small dynamic range very loud and does nothing to files with a large dynamic range. There's not really any real normalization being done.

As I also stated Nero normalizes 2 ways, Peak or RMS. There are many percent settings to use with RMS allowing you to tweak it according to your source. The volume that your ear hears corresponds more closely with average RMS amplitude levels than with Peak levels. Therefore, normalizing the RMS amplitude of two files, making them equal, helps make their perceived volume equal. But then again some audio fanatics will say RMS is bad as it may make soft sounds louder than they should be.

Adobe Audition has a number of normalization options. Again RMS comes into play. You can select true RMS normalization or Equal Loudness Contouring, an enhanced approach using RMS amplitude, which takes into account the frequencies to which the human ear is sensitive.

Adobe Audition might be the app you need.

10. changintimes

i agree Mystic Eyes, those audio fanatics, they're really something else,

lol,

really though, thanks alot, i'm going to explore your suggestion,

11. changintimes

okay, i explored, not quite ready to spend 299 for audio software at this time,

maybe if i become any more of an audio fanatic i might, lol,

thanks very much anyway, i learned some stuff from your very informative post,

12. Naso256

Naso256

Any audio editing and converting software will be of use. Suggests to try FlexiMusic Wave Editor. Play the audio files (songs) in the software, from the menu; select “volume” command where in either choose "Simple Compress/ Expand" or "Dynamic Compress/ Expand" option to equalize the volume throughout the whole audio file. It is best to opt "Simple Compress/ Expand" option. The usage of Simple Compress/ Expand option is that, it will choose the optimum (maximum) level of volume of the audio file and this will be applied for the whole audio file. Suggest that choosing 85% of volume would be optimum for the entire audio file. While using "Dynamic Compress/ Expand" option, the volume will be changed randomly. This option will increase the volume where it is low and decrease the volume where it is high.

13. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Why would I want to destroy the dynamic range of my music? Compression is OK for in the car or at a club, but at home... never.

14. changintimes

i agree mystic eyes, want to hear the highs and lows of the music myself, just don't want a song to randomly sound very loud and another to sound very low, on the same cd or playlist,

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice