1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to connect 1 PC in 2 diferent LANs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by uthanatos, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. uthanatos

uthanatos Thread Starter

The PC has Windows XP installed and it is allready in a network with acces on the Net.

These Days i have made a new Network with a Fileserver and a Workstation, no Internet there. I want to install the PC in the new network but at the same time keep the old network instalation and Internet for this one.

Can i install 2 Network Cards in 1 PC and have it working in 2 domains?

thanx in advance, tell me if you need any other info.

2. TheDude5555

TheDude5555

Seems like your question is actually 2 questions.

1. Can I install 2 NICs? - Yes you can.

2. Can I have it joined to 2 domains? = No. You can only be a member of 1 domain at a time.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I agree with TheDude555, but am curious about you having a domain on the "new Network with a Fileserver and a Workstation." That sounds like two computers and you want to add a third, and you are going to have (or already have) a domain implemented there?

Of course, I am assuming that you are using domain as Microsoft does, as in "XP Pro can join a domain but XP Home cannot."

4. uthanatos

uthanatos Thread Starter

Yes i inted to add a domain in my Existing Network atm, but i want to be able to work with the user of this computer with out removing him from the allready existing ERP.

there is olso a question Number 3. Can i have him in the first network, and with a diferent NiC and a crosswhire cable conect him with 1 PC of the new network?

5. uthanatos

uthanatos Thread Starter

PS: I am not sure yet if i am going to using MS as a solution for the domain or a Unix based OS. trying to see the ups and the downs of each side

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "there is olso a question Number 3. Can i have him in the first network, and with a diferent NiC and a crosswhire cable conect him with 1 PC of the new network?"

Yes (if "crosswhire" means "cross-over").

7. uthanatos

uthanatos Thread Starter

"(if "crosswhire" means "cross-over")" Yeap, i will have to remember to slap my English teacher about this.
    So, the recomentent action is. To keep the PC1 to the old network, and Connect it with 1 PC of the new Network.

Question Number 4. How can i connect the 2 PCs without using a Workgroup since the PC1 will be in the old Workgroup and the new one will be in the new one.

Anyone has ever tried it? any suggestions instructions or anything else?

8. tjamnz

tjamnz

disable workgroups

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Connect the 2 PCs with a cross-over cable (can use regular cable if either port is auto-sensing). If you use the default dynamic IP, each PC will be assigned by Windows an APIPA of 169.254.x.y. This connection will be easier to use if you assign static IPs; e.g., 10.1.1.10 and 10.1.1.20, mask = 255.255.255.0. Of course, don't use the same subnet as used by your other networks.

Then launch a Windows Explorer window showing the other PC's shares via

Start - Run - \\otherPC - OK

where "otherPC" is the IP address or the Computer name of the other PC. Using IP address always works (unless blocked by firewall or there is corruption) and Computer name often works.

10. tjamnz

tjamnz

true.. crossover cables can be sweet when your in a jam. I had to use one in the past, becuase my cdr drive was broken on a notebook pc and I wanted to do a windows install. So connected the rj45 crossover to another notebook, and manually entered a 169... ip in tcp/ip settings on each pc, and shared my cd (drive d) drive from the other computer, and successfully installed windows that way.

11. uthanatos

uthanatos Thread Starter

thanx for the help and the info peeps will be grate help when i will need to set up the new Net.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice