Want to connect my laptop as a 2nd monitor

Madmonk1980

I want to connect my laptop as a 2nd monitor. Im not sure if this is possible. Both laptop and desktop PC run Windows 10. My desktop PC has 1 connected monitor, which is connected by a dvi to hdmi cable. Havent worked out how to connect the laptop to make the 2nd screen work. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oddba11

Jim
Not possible.

Laptops only output video. There is not way to input video into a laptop.

Gr3iz

Mark
Does your desktop have multiple monitor outputs? Many will have some combination of two or three of VGA, DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI or miniDP/HDMI.

Madmonk1980

Yes, there are several, do they need to be coming from the video card of the desktop?

Gr3iz

Mark
If you have a separate video card, that's what you will connect to. That's where your current monitor is connected, right?

Madmonk1980

My current monitor is connected to the video card. Does that mean I need another video card as well?
I do have other outputs coming out of the video card.

Gr3iz

Mark
It looks like that monitor connects to a USB 3.0 port, not specifically a video port.

if u have a hdmi port on ur laptop u could just plug the hdmi to the laptop and to the monitor/tv of ur choice then go to display setting and make the monitor/tv the main.

Gr3iz

Mark
It is a desktop they are asking about which does have additional video ports, but they want specifically to use a portable screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online