1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to delete SuSe

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by xico, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi!

I just put SuSe on Drive C; now I'd like to remove it. I tried the DOS command Format C, but I got an error message. Won't do it. Would someone please tell me the command to reformat Drive C. I great appreciate it. Thanks,

2. tsunam

tsunam

if you get to the actual dos command line do a fdisc /mbr then just do your standard format C:/ /s

3. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

thats fdisk with a K. And then, just use the linux fdisk from a bootdisk to delete all the partitions whith linux on it.

4. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thank you Tsunam and Whiteskin! Im on my way to fdisk it--or fdisk /mbr

5. xico

xico Thread Starter

SuSe said: Bad command. It wouldn't recognize the fdisk /mbr. I tried it with the disc, but that didn't work either.

I tried the Format C: and it said : The D*S concept of formatting a disk is screwed. Maybe you want to create a filesystem? Use mkfs then. c /s

This thing seems to have a personality all its own. Is that what I should be doing? mkfs then. c /s ?

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

K. Fdisk /mbr is a dos fdisk command. However, to delete linux partitions you need to use the linux fdisk. So, use a dos boot disk (/xpcd) to nuke the MBR, then use a linux boot disk to delete the partitions so you can reclaim the space.

7. xico

xico Thread Starter

I don't quite understand--or Im not sure that I understand. When I use the dos boot disk---(/xpcd)? where does that go?

Right now Im back in the installation process where it asks for expert partitioning. Can I repartition it--or click delete--to get some space on the C drive to install dos? It won't let me delete what it thinks is windoz, and it won't let me shrink it either. But there's the option of re-partition.

If yes--what do I choose for the partitions?

8. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

You need a dos bootdisk, and one linux bootdisk. I belive you can get both at bootdisk.com.(or for a linux disk, check out http://www.toms.net/rb/)

Then, boot the dos bootdisk. Enter fdisk /mbr
    Reboot
    Boot linux boot disk. Enter fdisk, and use it to delete all partitions marked linux. Then, you can reclaim that space for windows if you wish. Are you ever planning on reinstalling linux?

9. lynch

lynch

I delete the Linux partitions first:
    root# cfdisk /dev/hda
    Use the Tab key to toggle through the options at the bottom and delete each partition. Reboot with the windows bootdisk in the floppy drive. Then, at the A: type:
    fdisk /mbr.
    HTH
    lynch

10. comprookie20

comprookie20

He can use the XP CD go to recovery console <press R> and then select comand line<I think> and then FIXMBR or FIXBOOT next use SuSE CD to boot of the hard drive and use fdisk or ckdisk /dev/hda but make sure to stay below the windows,fdisk /dev/hda p to see the layout and h for help,fdisk works great if you know what you are doing but if you mess up,there is no going back,if you are new you might want to invest in partition majic or partition commander

11. xico

xico Thread Starter

Yes, definitely. I got Slackware, SuSe, Mandrake, Knoppix and Pink Tie from CheapBytes. com and I want to try them all. Maybe I'll get Red Hat too.
    But, yes. The license for the XP makes the point that the user doesn't own XP, that it is merely being licensed to him to use, and that Micro$oft has the right to do pretty much whatever they want about going into your computer.
    Since M$ is the only one with the code, other nations can't have state secrets--nor can we.

12. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Pink tie is red hat. I belive. Cause of licencing or something.

13. xico

xico Thread Starter

14. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

"Get the .tar.gz file to install tomsrtbt from GNU/Linux.
    Get the .dos.zip file to install from DOS or Windows-9x.
    Get the .ElTorito.288.bin.bz2 one to burn a bootable CD."

Is that what you mean? The linux disk is creatable from dos, if you download the .dos.zip file. Get the dos boot disk from bootdisk.com.

15. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi Whiteskin!

I just downloaded those files from Toms, but when I went to put them on a floppy, Im getting the message that each one of them is too large. Am I doing something wrong? I'd put them on a CD, but this puter doesn't have a burner.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice