1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wan't to do A+ certification on Hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barun, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barun

Barun Thread Starter

Sir,
    I am Barun from INDIA and am a new user at TSG, so please forgive me for this sily question.

Actualy I want to do a A+ Certification cource on HARDWARE from
    some reputed International Organisation. I have got a lot of
    information over the net about this certification, but no where I found any information regarding process of getting myself enrolled to some organisation (Good organisation is also a big question) so that I could get cost effective latest and market orinted Degree. Also try to tell me its Fee, mode of education and process for appearing in the Exam. So Sir, please help me in getting these information, if it is possible. Please remember that I am from INDIA and I have to do this cource from INDIA only. Thanking you,

Barun
    West Bengal - State
    INDIA

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I have been working with PC's for the past 10 years. I just went and bought a book on A+ certification, read it and took the test. Any 13 year old kid with half a brain could pass it, just by reading a book.

3. Barun

Barun Thread Starter

OK... Sir, but u didn't read my whole querry. Please tell me after reading that book, from where and how to appear for that exam. Also tell me approximate Cource Fee. Please tell me whether this certification will help me in getting some (good) job in the market.

Please help me, because I realy don't know anything on this.

4. myvicisslow

myvicisslow

go here compTIA for more info. check to see if there are any testing sites in your area. the approx. fee for the test is $145 for each exam. you need to pass both to get the certification. however you can get vouchers from TotalSeminars . the exam is changing as of the end of November so if you want to use the current books to study it you'd better do it quickly. while the A+ certaintly looks good on the resume it probably won't be the deciding factor for employers. experience is more important.

5. myvicisslow

myvicisslow

ok i just read a little bit more on the vouchers and they're only available in the US and Canada.

6. Krall

Krall

Barun,

I am an A+ certified tech also, and I can tell you that if you want to have a career in computers (hardware support) now a days, the A+ is a MINIMUM REQUIREMENT almost all companys won't even consider you for a position if you dont have it. The exam is given by a company called PROMETRIC through a company called COMPTIA (Computing Technology Industry Association) the web address is www.comptia.com this is the site you want to go to. when the site is done loading, look near the middle of the page and to the right of the member login box, you will see a link saying "I want to be certified" click it. then to the right of that, you will now see several other links (3) click the one that says "I am new to certification". When the new page loads, on the left you will see a link thats says "Register for Exam" thats what you want if you are ready for test it will give you locations where they administer the exam. This page is a great page to look at because it will also take you to a listing of the objectives of the test and will tell you how the A+ fits into a career. If you click the "GENERAL INFORMATION" link, it will take you to a page with info on both the hardware and software exam (Yes there are 2 tests you need to pass to get certified) and it has a link to PRICING and also PROMETRIC (the people who actually give the test) I cant tell you how much it will cost or even if they have a place in India where you can take the tests but this web site will. It would be a very good idea to be ready for both tests and take them both at the same time. When you register they will ask you what tests you want to register for. As I was saying, the A+ is just a test to get you an entry level computer job in most companys, I have a pretty good career in computers going as a Senior Network Engineer and here is a list of the certifications that I have and will also help you get a great job in computers down the road.
    First get your A+
    Then Get the Network + (from same company as A+)
    then MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional)
    you may want to get HP certified (Hewlett Packard)
    then get CNA (Certified Network Administrator) from Novell
    and then get your MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)
    if you get all these you will be set making alot of money.

7. Krall

Krall

8. Barun

Barun Thread Starter

Thanks, to all of you, specialy KRALL, for plenty of valuable information I was looking for. I am greatfull to you all. And with this I have got a fair Idea to proceed for my Certification Exam.

Barun
    INDIA

9. orchid5683

orchid5683

Just to balance things a bit...~grin~

As a computer technician with over 10 years experience including upgrade management, telephone technical support, telephone service, and currently small system administration and private repairs and training I would have to agree with Myvicisslow on the certification necessity. My only certification is a highschool diploma, I rent a house by the beach, I have money to spare, and I have a very secure job. Certification necessity depends completely upon where you want to work, how much you want to make, and how much of your time you want to spend working. Krall made a very good recommendation by pointing out the wisdom in not just learning one thing, but in expanding your knowledge to cover many areas. People who specialize in one area often find themselves out of work when someone comes along with the same knowledge, but lower personal expenses and thus a lower payroll requirement. Too many people who live here in the Silicon Valley have learned that the hard way.

Bottom line=Build a wide base of knowledge, make sure to learn what you enjoy, and learn with a view to sharing with others. This will make you valuable, along with honesty and respect, and you will find the work you seek.

In my humble opinion... ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice