1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Want to donate old Win 98 laptop and wipe hard drive prior

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gowest, Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gowest

gowest Thread Starter

Hello, and thanks in advance for your help!

I am donating my old IBM ThinkPad 600 Type 2645 to a senior citizen care facility. The OS is Windows 98.

I would greatly appreciate any instructions on how I can best wipe my hard drive. I am concerned about wiping the Word documents, Outlook Express files, and Outlook files. I also need to remove my Windows log in, which pops up at start-up.

Thanks again for your time and expertise.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

With what OS then installed - Windows 98
    Also is this think pad the original spec with 64MB ram - max 288MB including the 32MB soldered chip and a 6.4GB hard drive

If so, with respect whilst the principle of the donation of the computer is praiseworthy - I find it hard to imagine that it will be suitable

However that of course is a matter for you.

Either format the drive and reinstall 98 if you have the CD then create a User account without a password
    OR if you cannot do that delete all your docs, and other personal files
    create a new user account - I would suggest without a password requirement and then delete your account and on the option to delete all files relating to the account - YES

3. gowest

gowest Thread Starter

Hi Macboatmaster,

Thanks for your time. I found some advice on another forum to use DBAN to wipe the drive. I have done so, and I need to reinstall Win 98.

As to your point about the value of the donation, I think you're right. I was hoping they could play Solitaire on the computer, but that is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks again. Happy New Year!

4. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

I know this is closed but just thought i would comment..lol
    I so remember the days of reformatting windows 98.
    i think it was something like when booting/dos prompt/fdisk and clicking yes or no for fat32/fat16 or something to that effect,then having to go in and wipe out the partition,reboot and reformat,reboot with windows cd and installing,then insert the key.My fav was windows 98se.I really like that operating system.hated the change.That is till windows 7 anyway.
    I still have a compaq laptop with windows 95,the two chargers/batteries,a docking station and a charging dock that went with it and the bootable floppy disk and owners manual.I can't believe the batteries still work and charge and the laptop still has the operating system installed and works great!.I hated the mouse though as it had the rolling ball mouse built onto the side of the screen..lol
    anyway's...just reminiscing..lol

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice