1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to format but <FORMAT C: /Q /FS:NTFS> wont work and thats just the beginning.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MIRCERMAN, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MIRCERMAN

MIRCERMAN Thread Starter

I tried to delete Norton Anti Virus from a friends computer using the "remove software" options in winxp, but windows wouldn't let me so I manually deleted any file that had symantec or norton in its name. After restarting windows, the system recovery wouldn't load and I was unable to access many other files in the control pannel. I decided to install an AutoStream handmade version of xp pro, because he didn't have the original install disk. Before I tried to install the new xp, I loaded a reset program that was supposed to let me install with no problems. That is when windows no longer booted up. When booting the promt read; "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM". I accessed the recovery console with the 6 boot disks, and resolved this issue using a tip from bootdisk.com. Windows would load but it was not fully fuctional. I tried to format from the recovery cosole but I got something like "AUTOFRMT.EXE could not be found" on the screen. I should also mention that I screwed with the bios settings because the cdrom drives could not be found in windows. I activated the recovery console functions like FIXBOOT and DISKPART. Whenever I try to use FORMAT or the COPY function to repair the boot sector that has damaged ntldr or ndetect.com files I get something like "AUTOFRMT.EXE could not be found" promted. Now when trying to load windows All I get is file names that load on a black screen and the computer wont shut off unless unplugged. All I want to do is erase the [email protected]#&! hard drive. There should be a button on all computers, under lock and key, that when pressed will erase the hard drive instantly. I have a bios update disk from the computer manufacturer but I have not installed it. I also was wondering if I can repair the system registry from the recovery console? Hopefully I haven't screwed it up too much. Please feel free to rip me a new one. :confused: Thanks, MIRCERMAN

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless you are trying to fix the master boot record, there really is no need to use the RC. You can use the RC if you want to partition and format, however it is easier from xp setup. Boot with your xp cd and have setup delete all partitions on the disk; create one or more as you like. Format with ntfs and xp should load.

BTW I would not use the quick format that you used. The quick format does not check the disk for any errors.

3. MIRCERMAN

MIRCERMAN Thread Starter

Only bios or the recovery console will function properly. Windows will not let the a new cd install through. I am also unble to Format from the recovery console. The only working platform is from the system bios or the recovery console boot disks. Should I try to format the hard drive by installing a utility supplied by the hard drive manufacturer? Will it format completely?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do not try and run the cd under windows. Go into the bios and set the cd as the first boot device; save settings and exit. Now restart with your xp cd in the cd drive. You will see a message to "Press any key to boot from cd" this is only displayed for about 5 sec so be prepared to hit any key. This should load setup and allow you to partition and format the drive.

5. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

You need to boot directly to the Windows XP CD.

But you could try this. On another Windows XP Machine format a floppy using FULL format.

Unhide all files and folders and copy ntldr, NTDETECT.COM and boot.ini from the root (C: drive) to the floppy.

Make sure that the boot.ini file is from the same version of XP, Home or Pro, or edit it where necessary. (Might not be necessary!)

Insert the floppy in the defective machine and start the computer.

The boot process will now access the floppy and use the NTDETECT.COM file to find the hard-drive.

IF ... you get to the desktop you need just to change the ntldr, NTDETECT.COM and boot.ini files on the computer's hard drive.

Let us all know if this works for you.

(Some machines might not respond to this.)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/334803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice