1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to free up space on hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ohioweaver, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ohioweaver

ohioweaver Thread Starter

There is a folder called Win 98 on my C drive, it takes up 121MB of space, I looked at the whole thing which is comprised of nothing but Zip files for the Win 98 prg. Since I have a CD for it, can I delete it without causing any trouble to my OS system? Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Do you mean .cab files?

3. ohioweaver

I can send this to you so you can read it somehow? I'm pretty sure this is what went there after I installed Win 98se (which was an update from Win 95) so since it is installed and working, can't I now delet that folder?

4. ~Candy~

Go to add/remove programs. Do you have a choice to uninstall 98?

5. ohioweaver

This is really so great! There isn't any Win 98 on Add/Remove at all. Does that mean I can then just use the delet button on that folder and send it to the trash bin?

6. ~Candy~

I'd still like a list before we start zapping things. Do you have a Windows directory?

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Ohioweaver:

Leave that C:\WIN98 folder alone! You're fortunate to have it there because it saves you from having to make use of the Windows CD whenever you're prompted to insert it. Whenever you're prompted to insert the Windows CD, just click OK, type in or browse to C:\WIN98, then click OK again.

Also, if you ever need to reinstall Windows over itself, you can do it right from that folder by activating the "Setup.exe" file instead of having to insert the Windows CD.

And yes, you can delete that 121 MB folder without causing any problems to your computer, but remember what I just said.

8. ~Candy~

I agree with Frank regarding the convenience of having the .cab files on the hard drive, however, I've had to make that 'tough love' decision myself with smaller hard drives.

9. ohioweaver

Your expert advice was EXACTLY what this ole gal needed and YOUR CAME THROUGH! My thank you will be in tomorrows mail! Diane

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice