1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to free up space!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by webbex, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webbex

webbex Thread Starter

I'm looking to free up space on my hard drive. Is it OK to uninstall old .NET versions, old java versions, and old windows updates? The old versions occupy tremendous space on my computer and if they can be safely removed I'll love to remove them. Is it safe to remove old versions of .NET framework, java consoles, and windows updates?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You should not uninstall windows updates, but you can delete the $NtUninstallKBxxxxxx and $NtServicePackUninstall folders for them in the C:\Windows folder. Don't delete $hf_mig though.

It is not a good idea to uninstall older .NET versions because some applications require specific versions (I guess you could uninstall them and reinstall later if you really need them).

You can usually uninstall older java versions unless you have an application that needs a certain version..

3. webbex

webbex Thread Starter

OK let's handle the java... Look at all the java versions in my computer closely and tell me which ones must I keep and which ones can be removed: Thanks!

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10 size 145.00 MB
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11 size 146.00 MB
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6 size 145.00 MB
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9 size 145.00 MB

Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition v1.2.2 Size 15.30 MB
    Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition v1.3 Size 16.14 MB
    Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_10 Size 138.00 MB
    Java 2 SDK, SE v1.4.2_10 Size 430.00 MB

Java(TM) 6 Update 2 Size 133.00 MB
    Java(TM) 6 Update 20 Size 94.54 MB
    Java(TM) 6 Update 3 Size 133.00 MB
    Java(TM) 6 Update 5 Size 136.00 MB
    Java(TM) 6 Update 7 Size 136.00 MB

Java(TM) Runtime Environment 6 Update 1 Size 159.00 MB

4. stantley

stantley

5. webbex

webbex Thread Starter

OK thanks. My Hard Drive is 109 GB. Only 19GB free space left, and that's after I've done cleanup with the CleanUp program. I would like to free as much space as possible.

6. stantley

stantley

So with 19GB free you're in pretty good shape.

Get WinDirStat, a freeware utility that will show you where the space hogs are. Usually the files that take up the most space are video, music and picture files.

7. webbex

webbex Thread Starter

I need more space. I want to free up to 50GB. Meanwhile after uninstalling all the Java versions above I was only able to save 300MB. This is funny!!!

8. webbex

webbex Thread Starter

Just like the Java, I would also like to keep only the latest version of the Microsoft .Net framework. What is the latest version? The latest version in my computer is Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Is there a newer version? Please provide download link, thanks.

9. stantley

stantley

.NET Framework is different than Java. If you have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 then should also have .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2. You need to keep all of those versions for it to work properly.

But you're going about this the wrong way. If you uninstall every program on your computer you might free up 2GB, but not 50GB.

Like I said get WinDirStat and it will show you where the biggest files are located and you can see what to delete. You could also get an external hard drive to store extra files, they have really come down in price.

10. webbex

webbex Thread Starter

OK thanks, I appreciate your reply

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!