1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to get rid of unwanted programs completely

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Bush Lady, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

I have stuff in the computer, that every time I start the computer, these programs pop up. I now that there is a way of getting rid of this suff completely. Is there anyone out there that can tell me how to do this?

2. Arky

Arky

Note the program names and delete them from the registry. This will not, however, get rid of surplus DLLs.

If you have the original installables, reinstall using an installation monitor like PC Magazine's inctrl5.zip or one at http://www.softpedia.com/ Uninstall the program and manually remove any of the DLLs left over that the installation monitor reports.

3. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

I downloaded 'cookie spook'

I have a question. I am using windows XP. Is there something that I can use when I click on "RUN".

4. jparr111

jparr111

The best way would be to remove using "add/remove" in CONTROL PANEL.
    If you just don't want them to Start -up....type MSCONFG in RUN and click on the start -up tab. Delete the ones you don't want starting up. Be careful here though. Make sure you know what you are deleting. Adding a shortcut to find what those abbreviations mean...
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

5. Big-K

Big-K

msconfig does not work in XP. I'm not sure of any system ways, but the old JV16 registry tool does allow you to change your startup programs easily. It's available at www.oldversion.com

6. jparr111

jparr111

Big K...
    I beg your pardon. I have edited my start-up using MSCONFIG and I have Windows XP. It's called Selective Start Up.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Big-K, I believe you are thinking about win2k. It is in XP.

8. Big-K

Big-K

All the sudden it works! I tried last night, and that time and all times before it it has not worked. Suddenly it does!

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yer computer is out to git'ya. It is a commie plot. :D

10. jparr111

jparr111

Thanks Skivvywaver...
    Me being a "Beginner"... Wasn't sure I'd be taken seriously. I just happened to be browsing through and found this question. Since I am REALLY a beginner...
    I really had to think before I posted.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice