1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to gid rid of "Windows has blocked..

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sanfranciscoe, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sanfranciscoe

sanfranciscoe Thread Starter

When I start up my computer, every time, an unwanted Microsoft Vista Window comes up

It is horizontal, white, and pops up from the bottom right area.

It says:

Windows has blocked some start-up programs.
    Windows blocks programs that require permission to run when Windows starts.
    Click here to view blocked programs.

Then ANOTHER one of the same will follow, maybe 1/2 hour later or even after that.
    If I don't click it closed, it will eventually "ghost" back to disappearing.

I have disabled some of the startup programs manually on purpose,
    now I get this window on start up - I want to get rid of it.

How can I get rid of this? thanks.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There is an option within the "click here" resultant window to not display the message again.

3. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Kiwi's suggestion will certainly cure the symptom.
    According to Microsoft, you can disable these, (which you have already done!), or remove them.
    From the Technet forums:
    Method 1: Run the blocked program or the blocked service
    After Windows Vista starts, you can run any blocked programs or blocked services by following these steps:1. Click the Blocked startup programs icon that is in the notification area.
    2. Point to Run blocked program, and then click the program or the service in the list that you want to start.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

Method 2: Disable the blocked program or the blocked service
    To disable a program or a service during the Windows Vista startup process, follow these steps:1. Click the Blocked startup programs icon that is in the notification area.
    2. Click Show or remove blocked startup programs. This starts Software Explorer in Windows Defender.
    3. Locate, and then click to select the startup program or the startup service that is in Software Explorer.
    4. Click Disable, and then click Yes in the confirmation dialog box.

Method 3: Remove the blocked program or the blocked service from the startup process
    To remove a program or a service from the startup process completely, try to use the Programs and Features item in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click Start, type appwiz.cpl in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    2. Click the program in the Programs and Features list, and then click Uninstall/Change.
    If you cannot remove the program by using the Programs and Features item in Control Panel, you can remove the program from the startup process by using Software Explorer. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click the Blocked startup programs icon that is in the notification area.
    2. Click Show or remove blocked startup programs. This starts Software Explorer in Windows Defender.
    3. Locate, and then click to select the startup program or the startup service that is in Software Explorer.
    4. Click Remove, and then click Yes in the confirmation dialog box.

I have not received this message, ever. I run as (Full) Administrator and have the UAC and Windows Defender turned off, which I believe may be the two programs producing this message. I take care of security by other means, as I have done right through previous Windows versions.
    However, if the programs in question, are ones which you have personally installed, I would be inclined to try uninstalling them and then reinstalling with (right click trick) Administrative permission - might work?

4. sanfranciscoe

sanfranciscoe Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help. I need it!

After I posted the message, I realized I could "hide" the lower right icon "blocked start-up programs", since that was where it was coming from. The lower right desktop icon section. So now the icon is hidden, it doesn't "pop up" with a window on start-up.

Thanks!

Problem is now solved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice