1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

want to go back to xp

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nperagine, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nperagine

nperagine Thread Starter

I installed vista and after i lost all sound and the d drive is not readable at bootup with my xp bootable disk so i could start fresh from xp with formatting. vista tells me thers a drive its not letting run says driver blocked, sonic solutions DLA, and also my cdrom drive wont read the bootable xp disk. i want to reinstall xp .Please help .thank you

2. Compiler

Compiler

So... try this:

when you START your PC WITH the XP Disc already in the drive (turn off completely! even unplug the power cord for 5 seconds) so that the CD is read first no matter what.

XP should boot up and give you the option to reformat your drive.

AFAIK - vista doesn't completely shut down your computer.

Of course, you can't get your money back.... hence, many of us are not impressed with vista, and it won't be stable until SP1 version is out (about a year) which does NO good for your current vista DVD.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I do not see how this is happening. Put your XP disk in the drive, boot from it, do a quick format and install XP.

Vista can not lock your drive before you exit the bios. Ain't no way.

4. nperagine

nperagine Thread Starter

I tried that , it still dont work cause vista is not letting a drive run for the cdrom. ii think im cooked . thanks

5. nperagine

nperagine Thread Starter

its not letting the cdrom read.

6. nperagine

nperagine Thread Starter

its just not letting the cdrom read the bootable disk

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

As far as I know once in the bios and you pick the boot device nothing can whip you other than bad hardware.

Are you actually getting a boot error from the bios? I mean, when the machine is booting press whatever key that gives you the boot order, choose the drive with your XP CD in it. Hit enter. Now the machine should come up with "press any key to boot from CD rom". Hit a key.

XP should then take over and guide you through the install. If not, you have other issues. This is not a Vista lockout as you are describing.

8. Compiler

Compiler

DID you unplug your computer?

Until the OS boots up, the BIOS is in contol of the system. It says WHAT boots up.

Double check your BIOS boot order (hit DEL or F1) - and/or also - unplug the computer.

If all failes, buy a new HD.... or use an OLD HD to install an OS (98/XP) that would allow you to run tools to delete the partitions on your main HD.

9. nperagine

nperagine Thread Starter

if i hit f12 like it says it brings me to a dos promt and i go down to highlightcdrom for the boot but then it tries but says press f1 to retry or f2 for setup i dont know wht to touch in setup.

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Try f5 . That "might" give you the boot order. What you really need to do is go into your bios and set the drive with the XP disk in it as #1 boot device. This isn't Vista screwing you, it is something you are not seeing in your bios. ;)

11. nperagine

nperagine Thread Starter

im trying that now , is there anything i can change in set up?

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yes, you need to change the boot device to whatever drive you are trying to boot XP from.

13. nperagine

nperagine Thread Starter

this is wht device manager is telling me.

DVD/CD-ROM drives
    Location 0 (Channel 1, Target 0, Lun 0)
    (Standard CD-ROM drives)
    This device is working properly.

Windows did not start a related device driver. To learn more, click the Driver tab and then click Driver Details.

this is the problem c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
    it is not turning this on. thats why i cant boot into the bootable xp disk

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

LOL, device manager is not going to tell a damned thing to help you. Your boot order is where you need to be looking.

I am kind of old here so I am losing my cool with you. ;) You NEED to go into your bios. You NEED to change your boot device to the CDROM you have your XP disk in. Save that and exit the bios.

Now your XP disk is the first boot device. If you get a "hit any key to boot from CDROM" hit a key, I do not care which one. :p

Follow the instructions and do a quick format and install XP. That is AS simple as I can make it and I am not posting anymore. Someone with more cool than I may help you but I am beginning to think you want a magic wand.

Listen to the advice you are being givien. ;) Later.

~Skivvy~

15. nperagine

nperagine Thread Starter

Thanks so much it worked , you saved my day

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice