Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

want to go back to xp

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  jonuck 
#1 ·
I installed vista and after i lost all sound and the d drive is not readable at bootup with my xp bootable disk so i could start fresh from xp with formatting. vista tells me thers a drive its not letting run says driver blocked, sonic solutions DLA, and also my cdrom drive wont read the bootable xp disk. i want to reinstall xp .Please help .thank you

#2 ·
So... try this:

when you START your PC WITH the XP Disc already in the drive (turn off completely! even unplug the power cord for 5 seconds) so that the CD is read first no matter what.

XP should boot up and give you the option to reformat your drive.

AFAIK - vista doesn't completely shut down your computer.

Of course, you can't get your money back.... hence, many of us are not impressed with vista, and it won't be stable until SP1 version is out (about a year) which does NO good for your current vista DVD.

#7 ·
nperagine said:
its just not letting the cdrom read the bootable disk
As far as I know once in the bios and you pick the boot device nothing can whip you other than bad hardware.

Are you actually getting a boot error from the bios? I mean, when the machine is booting press whatever key that gives you the boot order, choose the drive with your XP CD in it. Hit enter. Now the machine should come up with "press any key to boot from CD rom". Hit a key.

XP should then take over and guide you through the install. If not, you have other issues. This is not a Vista lockout as you are describing.

#8 ·
DID you unplug your computer?

Until the OS boots up, the BIOS is in contol of the system. It says WHAT boots up.

Double check your BIOS boot order (hit DEL or F1) - and/or also - unplug the computer.

If all failes, buy a new HD.... or use an OLD HD to install an OS (98/XP) that would allow you to run tools to delete the partitions on your main HD.

#13 ·
this is wht device manager is telling me.

DVD/CD-ROM drives
Location 0 (Channel 1, Target 0, Lun 0)
(Standard CD-ROM drives)
This device is working properly.

Windows did not start a related device driver. To learn more, click the Driver tab and then click Driver Details.

this is the problem c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
it is not turning this on. thats why i cant boot into the bootable xp disk

#14 ·
nperagine said:
this is wht device manager is telling me.

DVD/CD-ROM drives
Location 0 (Channel 1, Target 0, Lun 0)
(Standard CD-ROM drives)
This device is working properly.

Windows did not start a related device driver. To learn more, click the Driver tab and then click Driver Details.

this is the problem c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
it is not turning this on. thats why i cant boot into the bootable xp disk
LOL, device manager is not going to tell a damned thing to help you. Your boot order is where you need to be looking.

I am kind of old here so I am losing my cool with you. ;) You NEED to go into your bios. You NEED to change your boot device to the CDROM you have your XP disk in. Save that and exit the bios.

Now your XP disk is the first boot device. If you get a "hit any key to boot from CDROM" hit a key, I do not care which one. :p

Follow the instructions and do a quick format and install XP. That is AS simple as I can make it and I am not posting anymore. Someone with more cool than I may help you but I am beginning to think you want a magic wand.

Listen to the advice you are being givien. ;) Later.

~Skivvy~

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.