1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to host a server

Discussion in 'Games' started by dantheman, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dantheman

dantheman Thread Starter

i wana host a server for unreal tournament 2004 but want to know wat is more important in hosting a server. your download or upload speed i got a a T1 connection download and 128 kbps upload i want to know wat upload speed is for besides for sending a file to someone directly like by directconnect or P2P clients.

2. dantheman

dantheman Thread Starter

yo its been 2 days and no reply lazy *****

3. McTimson

McTimson

Think about it this way - your upload speed is the speed others will be to download from you. So upload speed is more important, however, you also need a good download speed as well, to retrieve information from the players. If you have a 128kbps upload, then this gives you a maximum of 16k up, which means that if there are 4 other people playing on your server, they will only download information at 4k/sec...which is not very good. Are you sure your T1 connection isn't 1 megabit upload? Most cable/DSL connections have more than 128kbps up...

4. dantheman

dantheman Thread Starter

im sure so your saying that the upload speed is the speed at which they are downloading off me like i host a server and pic a map that the people joining me dont have so they have to download it and if i have a faster upload speed they download off me the map faster and the download speed still quite dont understand can some1 clear this up for me.

5. McTimson

McTimson

When you're in the game, data is constantly being sent between the server and all the players, like the location of people, where they shot, tons of data is being transferred...the server has to download all that information from the players, and then upload it to each other person...

Now, about the upload speed...did you upload a file to somebody at 128kbps, or is that the speed your internet provider quoted you with?

6. dantheman

dantheman Thread Starter

well kinda of both the internet provider said that was my upload speed so i testes it and usaully got that exact # or 1 or 2 numbers off so wats more important for hosting a server upload speed or download speed?

7. McTimson

McTimson

Upload speed is more important.

OK, there's kilobits, and kilobytes...which one is your 128? There's a huge difference between the 2...(a kilobyte is 8 kilobits, so if it's 128 kilobytes, that's good)

How did you test it, from a website or something? Try sending a file to someone with broadband through AIM or something, and just tell us the size of the file, and how long it took...then we can tell if you don't know whether its kilobits or kilobytes yet.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice