1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to install OLD hard disk in NEW computer!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Misfit45, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Misfit45

Misfit45 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I’m expecting a new computer to be delivered tomorrow. This will have an 80gb Hard drive. We were going to give the old computer to the kids as it’s better than theirs, but they have a 40gb hard drive that we want to install into our new one.

I have two questions.

Question 1:
    I want to make use of the old drive but I’m presuming you can’t have two discs with operating systems on them. How can I delete everything off the hard drive so that I can have a clean drive to install?

Question 2:
    I would like to partition my hard drive so that I can have about 10gb or so for the operating system, then the rest I can use for files etc.

I thought It would be better to do this straight away before we start adding new programs and files.

Any help would be most appreciated.

2. Solei

Solei

Hello,
    Of course you can plug your old HDD to new PC as slave, so you needn't remove the OS, you have there. You'll be able to access the information there.
    Unfortunately, I don't understand what the problem in your second question.
    When you'll get a new PC, you need to install OS, during installation you can create as many partitions as you wish and choose the needed one for the OS.

3. Misfit45

Misfit45 Thread Starter

Thanks

4. Misfit45

Misfit45 Thread Starter

I am going to use the second hard drive as has been mentioned, one question though:

The new Dell computer only has one hard drive slot (as they seem to want to make it difficult to add extra bits) and no where else to fit it. Can you buy the metal cradles that hold them in place or is there any other (safe) way of storing the second drive (I'm presuming just laying the drive on the bottom of the computer case without strapping it in would not be a good idea)

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Is the new Dell a small form factor type case? If so you may want only one hard drive in it as there may not be enough airflow to keep everything cool. If you have any unused cdrom bays you could put a hard drive in it.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If it is one of the Dimension models there is a site that sells the mounting brackets for dell Dimension computers. The drives are not mouted in the dimension as they are in other computers. They are mounted in frames resting against the front of the case.

7. bigbear

bigbear

As this is a new computer, not sure where you would stand with the warranty if you install a second hand drive, sometimes they don't even like you opening up the case without voiding the warranty.

8. Misfit45

Misfit45 Thread Starter

It's a Dimension 1100.

I know they might say that the Warranty is void (but, presuming anything went wrong) I could just take the other harddrive out.

I was going to install my old DVD burner, but they make the cases smaller and I can't fit it in, so I could install the second drive in this slot.

I know this has already been answered, but I want to confirm before I fit it:
    If I install the drive as slave, when I remove everything from it (old programs and operating system - as it's running Windows 98) i'm presuming I will just be left with a clear drive (obviously not showing 40gb) but will still have plenty of space on it.

9. bigbear

bigbear

Once you have installed you can format with ntfs in disk management, start> run> type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter, right click the drive and format.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

For your second question.

If your system comes with an os already installed [as it should since this is a dell] you need third party software to partition without destroying all data on the disk.

BTW 10 gig is a little small for an xp partition. It will work, however over time you will find it becoming too small. I generally make os partition around 20 gig for os and basic apps like office, photoshop, etc.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/449230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice