1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to ISO a copy of OS partition for back up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by paulmo_on_tour, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulmo_on_tour

paulmo_on_tour Thread Starter

Hello all,

Here is what I'm trying to do. I would like to do an ISO, or copy the partition of my hard drive with Windows and Office on it. So if my computer takes a dump (again) I can rebuild it quicker.

I had a SP1 disk, did ALL the updates both critical and non-critical updates, installed Office XP and did all the updates there as well. It's a fresh as you can get!

The ultimate goal is to also install Ubuntu on this laptop to learn and understand. So I have partitioned the HDD with a 12G drive for Windows/Office and any other programme that needs to be "on C". Here is the full idea as it stands now:

12G, NTFS, Windows/Office
    18G, NTFS, Other Window programmes
    2G, ext3, swap file
    10G, ext3, Linux
    The rest, Fat32, for raw data.

Now it was pointed out that I can only have 4 partitions, so will combine the 18G and the rest for window programmes and data, formatted to Fat32.

Basic system is:
    Alienware
    P4, 3.0G
    1G Ram
    (now) 100G HDD
    128 nVidia GPU
    (sorry that's all I know at the moment)

My questions are:

How do I do a copy of the window partition so I can restore/rebuild it at a later date? ISO? Copy/paste? Magic?

Can I do this from an external hard drive? or DVD?

Is there a limit on partitions per hard drive? (Just want to double check that!)

Am I missing anything?

For your time, I give you this little funny, albeit sad, post about how Linux is "evil".
    http://www.shelleytherepublican.com...opean-threat-to-our-computers-by-tristan.aspx

In advance, thank you for the time.

Paulmo_on_tour

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Why not use a Third party program like Acronis True Image that will make a backup Image of the whole Hard drive and what ever is on it.

I would have another separate Hard drive for your backups as you seem to be low on space...

3. paulmo_on_tour

Bonk,

Thank you. I do have a USB external with tonnes of space, so I'll partition it down to isolate the backup(s). I have not used anything like that, how does it restore the HDD? Does it restore it to run right away?

Am planning actually to do a back up, wipe the drive and restore. Sounds silly I know, but since I don't know, and would like to it makes sense only way to learn is to do. Any suggestions (besides DON'T)?

Also, the partitioning of the drive, does that seem to "jive" correctly for my intended designs?

Cheers,

Paul

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes but that isn't the size of the Hard drive is it 42GB leave some free space to let it breath.

Remember always make the partitions larger for expansion as it will always be needed and changing it later would be a pain.

As for the True Image ..yes it puts it straight on from the location you have it on and you can schedule times when it makes an update backup so you always ahead.

You can put a backup on your external drive or make DVDs of it ...for me I have done both ..it took 2 DVDs that is 40GB Data.

Read about it here http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

But if you try it I would put important data on disk first just incase

5. paulmo_on_tour

Fantastic!

Thanks Bonk. Wish I had had backed up recently. Lost enough to be bummed about but can restore my older files. The HDD control board died on me. Actually had to send it back to the states (still waiting on the outcome), since it's too darn expensive in NZ to do data recover. Ugh.

Again, thanks!

Paul

6. bonk

bonk Banned

No probs .....I got caught out myself and it will never happen again

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice