1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to know if this will work for wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xfile47, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I know this is not the right way to do it but would like some opinions if this will work

A desktop computer in the house with linksys wireless N router, Works fine can get on with a laptop wirelessly in house and outside etc. I have setup home networks quite a few times. Here is the problem and what I want to do.

Outside about 100 yds away is a steel building with an office. I can take my laptop right out side the building in the truck our out of the truck and get on the internet wirelessly with no problem. Of couse when I get inside the steel building the network won't come through. I thought maybe the signal would come through a pretty big window that is in the office but won't. What I want to do is I bought another desktop for that office and I want to put a PCI Wireless card in it one of those that have a screw on where you can screw a small plastic attenenaa onto it in the back of the computer. I would like to get a small attenena that has a cable on it that would screw onto the wireless card. in othewards mount an attenena on the outside of the building and run the cable through the side of the building and screw it to the wireless card in the desktop. If the laptop will get on the internet right outside the building but not inside can I then use an attenena mounted outside to get the signal and send it through a cable to the card in the desktop? the signal would be picked up outside like the laptop picks it up but be sent inside through the cable. will that work? if so do they make an antenena with a cable that will screw onto the wireless card in the back of the computer? Please help me out I do not want to add access points inside the house and in the steel building etc can you tell me if my idea will work and if so what kind of an end is needed on the cable that the attenena would have. Hope this makes sense sometimes its hard to explain things. Thanks

2. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I was wondering if this would work it is magnetic so I could put it on the outside of the steel building to get the router signal from the house and then it would go from the attenea to the cable on the attenena to the wireless card in the desktop (this can be screwed right to the wireless card --right?) I dont want to make a mistake is why I am asking

Medium sized magnetic mount antenna for 2.4 GHz

Mobile WiFi is an exciting new thing. Many truck stops, coffee shops, campgrounds, parks and other locations are now offering 802.11 service across the country. This simple 2.4 GHz mag mount antenna gives you 5.5dB gain outside of your vehicle where you need it. You can also use this small antenna as part of your 802.11 wireless system to access your home or company network system from your vehicle. The future of wireless will be mobile applications. This is the highest gain antenna available for 2.4 GHz. The Mobile-5 antenna is only 6 inches long, which electrically produces alot of gain at 2.4 Gig. The strong magnet mount base is capable of holding this small antenna at just about any speed. For a little more gain, please look at our Mobile-7 antenna. For additional integrated connector options, please look at our Mobile-3 antenna.
    See full specifications below.
    This antenna comes with a 5 ft of cable and connector of your choice.

See full specifications below.
    This antenna comes with a 5 ft of cable and connector of your choice.
    Note: This WiFi antenna has the followng connector options
    • RPSMA - The RPSMA connector has threads on the inside and a center socket (instead of the standard pin).
    • MMCX - The MMCX has no threads but has a center pin.
    • MC-Card - The MC Card Connector has no threads but has a center pin.
    • RP-TNC
    • N-Male
    • N-Female
    If you need an extension cable or Pigtail to connect this antenna with your WiFi device, please see our WiFi cables and connectors
    Back to WiFi Home
    http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/2.4-mobile5.php

Thie picture of the attenean is here
    http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/2.4-mobile5.php

Attached Files:

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

found what I need I called thte company, thanks anyway

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Should work. All you have to do is figure out which connector to get. :)

Check out this JohnWill post for some other antenna options and a USB wireless adapter possibility. I see that Rosewill also has a PCI adapter and an antenna, but know nothing about them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice