1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

want to move HD to another computer to recover files but..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by migeru, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. migeru

migeru Thread Starter

Hi, I have a computer that got messed up, some of the windows files are corrupt or missing, long story short couldn't fix it and I want to remove the hard drive and plug it into another computer and simply use the working computer, (I imagine a new drive would show up in “my computer” where i could simply drag and drop files to the working hd) and recovery a bunch of files that are in that drive with the screwed up OS, does anyone know if this is as easy as it sounds or will I need to do something fancy in order for this to work, both computers use windows XP, but they are slightly different versions of windows, i dunno if that'll be a problem

p.s I have a little experience with upgrading and building computers but I’ve never done this before, I’m afraid I might damage or erase that HD :O
    also another option i could do is use an external HD I have (250gb), plug it into the screwed up computer, and some how use a bootdisk with a easy graphic interface to drag my files to my external hd, but i don't know of any such boot disk :( or if that' even possible? :(

2. Lil Chris

Lil Chris

you should be able to connect the drive to a channel on a working computer.set the jumper to slave if its a ide drive and switch on and you should see the drive in my computer.Only problem you might have is getting to files in "My Documents " especially if you had user names and passwords set.I have also succesfully used a icebox with the drive installed through USB and removed files.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Here is an article that may help should you not be able to open certain folders or files, because Windows XP on the working PC says you are not the owner of them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

4. migeru

migeru Thread Starter

OK thanks for the help, i'll try moving my hd today, I'm the administrator of the files so i don't think i'll have a problem getting them, that account didn't need a password or anything :)

5. NgelicDestroyer

NgelicDestroyer

Have you tried doing a repair install of XP? I believe it just installs system files over the old install w/o overwriting the rest of the data.

Next time you do an install, try allocating a 10 or 20Gb drive just for windows files, then keep all of your important files on a separate logical drive. This way if windows fails you, all you have to do is format the C: drive and all of your important data will remain on the other drive(s).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/556311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice