1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to prevent some PCs on a network using an internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eVILRigby, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

Hello,
    we have a network of several Windows XP PCs via a hub. One of the PCs has a modem connected to the internet and the other PCs share the connection. There are a couple of PCs on the network which I want to not be allowed to use the internet, but retain all other network functionality. I thought this would be easy but....

I tried to disallow use of Explorer and Messenger in XP on the machines themselves (Set access to Programs within Add/Remove Programs screen) but Windows won't allow you to do this. I tried to uninstall and/or delete Explorer components (as a last resort) but wasn't allowed to do this. I did manage to uninstall Messenger, and I've restricted the users to Limited priviledges (as opposed to Admin) so they can't reinstall Messenger.

I also tried to look at the network settings of the PC which hosts the internet connection, but I couldn't find a way to restrict internet access to some machines, but not others.

Surely surely there is an easy way to do this within Windows either on the PCs themselves or the internet connection host PC?

Many thanks,
    eR

2. plucnik

plucnik

Each XP machine has local "group policy" settings that the local "administrator" can set. Go to Start>Run and type in mmc. Go to File>Add / Remove Snap In. Chose Group Policy. Close that window. The console will show a group called Local Computer Policy. Expand that. Go to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Internet Explorer. You will see many settings that control the use of IE. "Enable" applies a particular setting. Just some advice.......do a Google search first on local group policy to get some tips on what setting to apply. It can get a bit complicated.

3. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

I had a really good look through the console that you suggested but there isn't an option within the IE section to prevent someone using it all. Thanks for the info though.

4. plucnik

plucnik

I think you can do it in a round about way.....in IE, set all the Security levels to the highest settings. That should effectively shut off most if not all internet access through the browser. Then go back to group policy and enable "Security Zone: do not allow users to change policies". That would prevent users from changing the settings back. As I mentioned, a Google search should reveal a lot of ideas on how to do this (some more complicated than others).

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can try:

1. Misconfiguring TCP/IP to have an incorrect gateway or DNS setting
    2. Misconfiguring the web browser to use an incorrect proxy server
    3. Set the registry so they cannot change the IE settings
    4. Make sure they do not have access afterwards to change the TCP/IP settings

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/279477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice