Want to replace a shortcut icon

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lee Erlandson

My wife has an IBM Aptiva with Win98 and Netscape 4.5 She wants to replace a shortcut icon with a different icon.

In her Quick Launch Folder(& also in her Quick Launch toolbar) she has a computer-with-keyboard icon labeled "Shortcut to Explorer". It's the same icon as the icon for "My Computer" except that the Target is, C:\Windows\Explorer.exe). She wants to substitute the World Globe icon into those two locations (i.e., QL Folder & QL toolbar)

The desired new icon is reached via: Ctrl Panel\ Display\Effects\deselect hilites\Change Icon. There is found the World Globe icon, (4th from the left in 2nd row from the top).

Question: Is there a folder that has both icons in the same place at the same time as well as the method for exchanging them? If not, what do I need to do? She is also amenable to having the same new icon located on her Desktop if that is necessary. Thank you, Lee

Lee
If I am understanding what you want to do correctly why don't you use the browse function in control panel display.
When you go to control panel/display/effects highlight the my computer icon and click change icon. When selection comes up click the browse button and navigate to C:\windows\system\shell32.dll and click open and select the globe. This action will use the globe icon on the desktop. From there you can drag the my computer globe to quick launch and create a shortcut.
Dave

Lee Erlandson

Dave,
Your suggestion sounds good, and I am willingg to give it a try, but I worry for fear that this procedure will compromise the "My Computer" icon that is already on my wife's Desktop. Maybe the "secret" lies in the fact that the current "My Computer" icon has no shortcut target, whereas I plan to type in a shortcut target for the Globe icon as soon as I get a chance to do so. Does that make sense? Meanwhile, what will happen to the old "My Computer" icon? Lee

Lee
The .ico file (computer Icon) remains part of the explorer.exe program and by directing through the browse function does not delete the icon. All your doing is telling the system to use the Icon you selected from shell32.dll when My computer is displayed. I have several Icons on my desktop that are not even in those two files. If you wish to change it back you can highlight and click default icon.
Dave

Lee Erlandson

Dave,

Sorry that I haven't been able to repond sooner.

In your msg of 11/06 at 8:57pm you suggest, "When selection comes up click the browse button and navigate to C:\windows\system\shell32.dll.....". After I go C:\windows\system\ I do not find shell32.dll at all.

However, if I deselect hilites at Effects, then click on Change Icon I come to the Globe on the screen, and the File name at the top of the screen reads, C:\Windows\System\shell32.dll. Is that where you want me to be? If so, the "sub-instruction" reads, *Current* icon when I
hilite the Globe. At this point shouldn't it read, "New" icon? Confused... Lee

Lee
Windows 98 may be slightly different then 98se or winME. Anyway highlight the globe you wish and click apply. That will change the standard Icon to the globe. Remember if you goof you always can reset to default which is the way it is now.

Dave

Lee Erlandson

Dave,

"hilite Globe and Click Apply"

When I go Ctrl Panel\Display\Effects\*deselect hilite*\clk on Change Icon\hilite Globe\clk OK\clk Apply\clk OK\ I am back at Ctrl Panel and nothing has changed. What am I missing? Lee

Lee
When I go Ctrl Panel\Display\Effects\*deselect hilite*\clk on Change Icon\hilite Globe\clk OK\clk Apply\clk OK\ I am back at Ctrl Panel and nothing has changed. What am I missing? Lee
End quote....
Above you said deselect highlight....You need to highlight the current my computer icon then click on change and proceed.
If you do not highlight the icon you wish to change the system does not know what you want it to do.
Dave

Lee Erlandson

Dave,

In two previous msgs I have mentioned deselect hilite because that is the *only* way that I can get to the Globe; and the File name at the top of the screen reads, C:\Windows\system\shell32.dll
Please see my msgs of 11/06 at 8:17pm and 11/07 at 8:56pm.

Conversly, if I do *not* deselect hilites I do not arrive at *either* the Globe nor at C:\Windows\System\shell32.dll

What am I missing, or am I between the proverbial rock and.... Lee

Lee
I have reread your post several times and maybe we are saying the same thing. If you are following the proceedure you have outlined above and the Icon is not changing maybe we have a different problem here. Does your screen look like this when you get to ok part of the selection?

Hewee
For my computer and other primary icon you cannot use the right click method.

Dave

Attachments

Lee Erlandson

Dave,

Eureka! I think I have found the solution to my problem!

Right click on computer icon in QL toolbar\Props\ Change Icon\ browse\**Type File Name**: C:\Windows\System\shell32.dll\Open\hilite Globe\ OK\Apply\ That's it! The globe icon now appears in both Quick Launch locations.

Maybe I wasn't reading your msgs correctly, but all's well that end's well. Thank you for your time and patience. Lee

Lee
No you found a blend of Hewee,s and my methods of changing the my computer Icon. If you attempt to use the same method for the original Icon on desktop you get the system properties screen. Since the quick launch is a shortcut as Hewee suggested you get the path screen which allows Icon changes. What I was attempting to have you do would have keep the Icons the same on desktop and in quick launch.
Glad you got it changed.

Hewee
Thanks for the links especially the second one which lists other hiding places of Icons.
Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online