1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

want to run xp and 98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fordpwr316, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fordpwr316

fordpwr316 Thread Starter

:confused:
    I want to run 98 on my pc along with xp. I already have xp installed can anyone help me figure out how to install 98 on here as well. i have to 40 gig hds.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  3. forte21xx

forte21xx

why would you want to run 98? I mean, unless you have some old software that doesn't work with XP...

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It can be done, however it is more involved than installing 9x first then xp. If you have two hd, then it is a little easier. Disconnect your hd with xp and leave just the one you are going to install 9x on connected. Install 9x and once it is up and running with dirvers installed etc, shut down and connect hd with xp installed now as slave drive.

Boot with xp cd and you will need to repair the boot loader / mbr. This can be done two ways; manually or by doing a repair install of xp. To do it manually here are the instructions.

Boot your computer with the Windows XP CD. When prompted to Setup or Repair, choose Repair. In the Recovery Console, enter the following commands:

FIXBOOT, answer Yes
    CD \
    ATTRIB -H NTLDR
    ATTRIB -S NTLDR
    ATTRIB -R NTLDR
    ATTRIB -H NTDETECT.COM
    ATTRIB -S NTDETECT.COM
    ATTRIB -R NTDETECT.COM
    COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
    COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
    In the last two commands, X is the letter of your CD drive.

Make sure you BACKUP anything of importance before you start this project. Note some xp apps may need to be reinstalled after you do this. You will need the admin password to repair xp. If you want to do a repair install of xp, it will repair the boot loader for you. You will need to reapply all updates, patches, sp1, etc after a repair install. Doing the repair manually does not require you to reapply everything.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

To answer that question, because I can :D

Seriously, I still have to give tech support on 98, 98SE, 95, so I have multiple boot systems ;) Thank God I don't have any customers still running 3.1.......or wait a second, I think I do :eek:

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

BTW, I just did this same setup for a client having XP Pro, and he wanted 98 installed after the fact. I used Partition Magic to create a new partition, then installed 98 on that partition and had to do the bootloader tinkering. It all went well.

About a month later, he decided he didn't want 98 anymore, and I ended up reformatting that partition and merging everything back into one.......clients, ya gotta love em ;)

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    ditto! :)

I was going to mention the PartitionMagic (I edited my last post a lot!) but I had limited knowledge on that. I will try your way and see if I can do that.

8. Tact

Tact

yah. i did the same thing because some software wouldn't run on xp. and then when i finished, turned out we lost the software we wanted to run. lol

but i learned a lot from it so i'm happy. and i used partition magic. i can only imagine how to go about it without it. i'd probably mess it all up. lol and i think i read somewhere from microsoft that recommends you put xp FIRST, and THEN the older version.

but yeah. to me, the only right way is to make a spereate partition and installing it there. what i'm still trying to figure out though, is how i can make my computer ask me before bootup which one i want to boot. i used partitionmagic as i mentioned before, but in order to switch between the operating systems, i have to open up ptm, and tell it to make the other one active, and then i have to reboot. i don't like that. i tried lookingonline for aprogram from powerquest called bootmagic or something like that which is suposed to make it easier. but i coudln't find it. they say it comes with ptm, but i don't see it anywhere.

well anyway. its not a big problem but i'd like to be ask at every boot up which os i'd like to run.

9. villin86

villin86

yeh im also having the same problem, trying to dual boot with xp and 98. but i only have one hard drive, and made 4 partitions. 3 ntfs and one fat32, but when i try to install win98, it doesnt let u choose were to install. so i dont know how to install win 98 onto the drive i have allocated. i am going to use a boot loader called GAG, yet i can only use it once i install win 98. but im having trouble with that. any one know what i should do???????

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

The easiest way is just to use a bootloader. GAG is the one I use and it is very easy to set up from a floppy. It asks what OS I want and then boots to XP if I don't respond for 10 seconds (you can choose the time interval).

It is not installed into either OS, but is installed from the floppy into a bootloader sector reserved on the hard drive. Read the directions carefully, click install.bat to create your setup floppy (which will appear blank to Windows), boot from the GAG floppy and set up your dual boot.

http://gag.sourceforge.net

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can install on another drive as well as another partition. You will get the boot loader when you repair xp as I posted. You can do either a manual repair or a repair install; each will fix the problem. Another option is to use a third party boot loader.

12. wolfworx

wolfworx

Becaues of the surplus of older Hard drives (2 to 10 GB) and the use of "Rack and drawer" devices to easily switch drives. I can easily run multiple OS's on the same machine.

I have a hard drive for Win98SE, Win2K, WinXp, Linux... even OS/2! Just switch and reboot. Data cn be kept on a second hard drive in the system. It's easy, safe, inexpensive and a wonderful way to try software on a variety of OS's

13. Tact

Tact

Elvandil

Thanks a lot, that sounds like exactly what i need. I think I'll set mine for 5 seconds. Very nifty.

Crjdriver

I don't think i need to repair anything. both OS's are perfectly fine and run perfectly well. Just that I heard that when you have multiple os's, when you boot, you are asked which one you want to run. But I don't get that message. I automatically get whatever I specified last. and if i wanted to switch to the other, i have to use partition magic to switch from one active partition to ther other and then reboot. not bad imo, and i rarely use 98 so its no big problem, but i was expecting that little ask dialog on boot.

"where do you want to go today :p?"

xp please
    98 fo sho!

lol. it'd be cool if i could customize the questions too lol

EDIT:

WOW, I just saw screenshots for that gag boot manager program you recommended, Elvandil, it looks totally awesome!! I thought it was gonna be all text. but it has a gui! man, seeing all that makes me wanna try out installing 4 os's! lol. i've always been curious about linux. maybe with this i can finally try it out without fear. lol those screenshots were awesome.

14. islandguy

islandguy

I used Acronis Operating System Selector and it worked well for me..

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

It all depends how they are set up. If you had 98 on a drive and then installed a newer OS, like XP, on another partition, the newer OS then detects the presence of an older OS and the boot.ini then let's you choose which OS.

GAG let's you install the OS's "out of order", so to speak.

Just today I used GAG on a machine with an unrepairable MBR that would not boot. GAG let me boot into the OS and set up a dual boot even with the damaged MBR.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice