1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to see more of a web page?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by LANMaster, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned Thread Starter

MS Internet Explorer (5x)
    How to Shrink Your Toolbar

By default, your Internet Explorer toolbar is set to display large icons and text. Sometimes that just takes up too much precious window space. Gain some real estate on your toolbar by customizing it! You can shrink the size of the buttons, and if you know what each button does, you can remove the text labels underneath the buttons.

1. Click on the View menu and choose Toolbars, then Customize.
    2. In the Customize Toolbar dialog box, you can add or remove icons, shrink the size of the icons, and change how text is displayed near the icons.
    3. When you are done, press Close.

There you go. Now you'll have more room for your web pages.
    :D

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Nice tip.

John

3. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned Thread Starter

Thanks John

4. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Also, if you add the 'full scceen' button to the toolbar, you can toggle to an extremly large area, almost no IE header at all!

5. mtbird

mtbird

If you hit your F11 key, this will change your IE interface to a single toolbar at the top.

6. BTex

BTex

Thanks for the tip

IE tips are hard to come by

7. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

8. perris

perris

here ya go guys...I wrote this for my site a while ago, and just reposted it;

If you're like me, you like as much content on your browser page as possible.

The best way to do this is by hitting the f11 key, which will give you a full screen.

You can increase this screen size even more, by auto hiding the task bar on bottom, and auto hide the toolbar on top as well.

If you're not familiar with how to do this, simply right click on the toolbar on top while in f11 mode, and the option to autohide presents itself

On the task bar on bottom, find an empty area again, right click, hit properties, and there is the option to autohide this bar as well...now you are cruising with 100% of your monitor for view!!!

Now, I like as much content on my browser page even when I'm not in f11 mode, and with a few clicks, you can usually bring all of the buttons and functionality of your toolbar to one bar, without loosing any of the functionality!

First, right click on the toolbar, hit customize...

The first thing you should do, is hit "no text labels" on the bottom...by now, you should know what all of the icons do without needing the space consuming text labels

Now, if your vision is fine, you should also hit "small icons" in the icon options box...this will also make better use of allot of wasted space.

alright, now go to the icons box on the top right, highlight and remove every button that you have not used in a while.

This will usually include the printer button, which usually does not work, the home page icon, which most people almost never use, and every other button you think is unnecessary for your personal use.

You should also eliminate all of the separators, as they serve no purpose at all

Now, for the best part;

Close this box, and go back to a right click on the toolbar again, where you will uncheck "lock the toolbars"

Go to the bottom left of the toolbars, grab the dotted lines that are now available, and drag each one to the right and up one level.

You should now be able to get all of your functionality onto one toolbar.

This will include the address bar, which for most users does not need to be bigger then an inch and a half or so of the toolbar.

When you're satisfied with your new toolbar, go back to a right click, and lock the toolbars again.

There...now, you will enjoy almost f11 viewing, but you will have all the functionality of a full toolbar.

9. wguido

wguido

Is there a way I can get a favorite website on the toolbar with an icon? I tried dragging it there, but it wont let me...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice