want to set up networking by ethernet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

midgecumbria

hi i have aol silver through usb adsl modem ,i have run an ethernet cable upstairs to my daughters computer, could someone give me advise on what sort of router i need to buy so she can share the internet conection. both computers run windows xp.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Since you have a USB modem, the router is out of the question. You can use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to share the connection. Your machine will have to be running for her connection to be active. Here's a Microsoft ICS Tutorial that will get you started.

Personally, I'd sign up with a real ISP and get an Ethernet modem so you could use the router, much more trouble-free.

midgecumbria

JohnWill said:
Since you have a USB modem, the router is out of the question. You can use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to share the connection. Your machine will have to be running for her connection to be active. Here's a Microsoft ICS Tutorial that will get you started.

Personally, I'd sign up with a real ISP and get an Ethernet modem so you could use the router, much more trouble-free.
thanks for reply i looked at link u gave me ,would we both be able to use the net at same time?, or should i just buy a modem/router. is aol not good for sharing connection?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
AOL is problematic for Internet sharing, one only has to do a search for the terms AOL and Internet sharing to see how many people are having problems. :) I've never used AOL, so I'm only an interested observer in the process.

Using ICS, you should both be able to use the Internet at the same time, but I've seen posts where AOL and ICS don't play nice together. Like I said, I don't know first hand, hopefully someone with AOL will come along and explain it to both of us. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online