1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to setup a wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sidious66, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sidious66

Sidious66 Thread Starter

Hi there, I'm getting an Xbox 360 soon and i want to set up a wireless network so i can connect it to the Live service from my bedroom. My computer and modem are in the basement and my bedroom is upstairs. There a few questions that i can't really seem to find answers for.

Is wireless networking just as fast as using wired networking cables or is it significantly slower?

How far can a wireless-g router access devices realistically (I've read 200ft or so depending on the brand but being that i'm going from a basement to upstairs, I doubt it would go that far)

What type of router would be the best for this type of setup?

I've heard of devices called "wireless range extenders" or "boosters" that you can buy, do these actually help at all?

The distance between the router and my Xbox would probably be about 350 - 400ft, and going through a ceiling with a lot of pipes, wiring, etc.

Should i bother with the wireless setup or would it be much better to go with a wired network? (mind you this would be a huge pain in the *** with drilling holes through the ceiling and whatnot)

Any help on this would be appreciated.

2. mb90078

mb90078

With a strong wireless connection, speed will not at all be a problem.

You'll likely have issues going from the basement to the second floor, but you can use a repeater, or a stronger antenna to boost the signal strength. It's not all about feet, different objects in the house can alter the signal strength, like the pipes you mentioned. I have no personal experience with an extender/booster/repeater, but it may work.

Wiring would indeed be a pain for your situation, so I think you're doing the right thing by at least looking into whether or not the wireless setup will be more feasable. Hopefully someone with experience in a similar situation will reply and help you out further.

3. Shamou

Shamou

My PC service man (who teaches the stuff at the local college) tells me that wireless routers are nothing but trouble. He advised me to use "D-Link, DI-604." I do and I am very satisfied with it. No prob. Also, I was told that using a wireless router could make it possible for someone with the right equipment to have access to your data... making it less secure.
    Shamou

4. treydx

treydx

Wow... big house.

There's no way a router is going to reach 400ft! If it's not really that far, you can probably get a good router with a repeater and it might work. I'm not sure if D-Link has repeaters, but I know Linksys does. Realistically, if it's just two stories, you might be able to just get away with a plain old wireless router. You also have the option of running a long ethernet cable to your PC and positioning your router away from all the pipes...

By the way, aren't ethernet cables only rated for 300 feet or so? Wiring might not even be a viable option if it's truly 400feet.

5. Sidious66

Sidious66 Thread Starter

From what i've looked into i think i'll go with a wired solution,
    i could use cat6 cables, from what i hear they can go up to 220 metres

thanx for the help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice