1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to undo changing the deafult location of 'My Documents'

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by morland, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morland

morland Thread Starter

Hi. Using XP Pro SP3.

by mistake i right clicked on My Documents and in the resulting dialog box i changed the location to C:\. What is was really trying to do is that when I start explorer, It should open with 'My Documents' in the top and then the rest of the drives etc.

What I have actually ended up with is that when I open windows explorer, it starts with 'My Documents' as if it is the root of drive C:\ and then all the other folders of C:\ drive are shown as sub-folders of 'My Documents'.

Tried undoing it by repeating the original step and then selected restore default but no change. Can someone please help

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

morland, Click Start>Programs>Accessories then right click the Windows Explorer icon, choose Properties and under the Shortcut tab in the Target line type or copy & paste

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

Click Apply/OK

If that doesn't work try a System Restore to the closest date prior to when you made the change.

The link below has other settings instrucrions as well.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/start_explorer_in_c_drive.htm

Tufenuf

3. morland

morland Thread Starter

Thanks Tufenuf. Have tried a combination of things (your tip and one's on the url) but it's not working. Wish I had a recent restore point. Have done a lot of time consuming installations since the last available restore point.. there's got to be a solution to bring things back they were :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice