1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

want to uninstall vista and go back to XP

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by notlek, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. notlek

notlek Thread Starter

I installed Vista Ultimate on my computer and am having MANY problems with it. Can't even register it! Anyway, before I installed it as an upgrade, I backed everything up onto my Seagate drive (XP). I now want to get rid of Vista and go back to my old configuration.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to do that without incurring more problems?!?!?

Thanks!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would just boot with your xp cd and do a clean install. Now copy back whatever docs, mp3s, etc you want from your backup.

You may be able to uninstall the upgrade from control panel>programs and features however I would opt for the clean install.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You'd have to provide more information than "backed everything up". What software did you use to make the backup? Is it a full image (Ghost or Acronis)? Did you use Windows' backup utility? Did you just copy files over?

Unless it's an image, you can't use it to restore your system. You'd have to either uninstall Vista, if you can, or format and reinstall.

4. Sirlink

Sirlink

I hope you used a ghost because windows Vista has no uninstall or revert to previous OS version option. If you had dont a paralel or crean install from inside XP I could help you do it but upgrade....your have to reinstall xp and that means clean harddrive since vista does not like to get installed over.

5. bigk

bigk

Notlek,

You do realize at the time of your post, they JUST released Windows: Vista the day before. What are the problems you having with Windows: vista? Did you manage to get the drives for your software and hard ware? You got to give it some time. Thats why I'm waiting a few months before I purchase my copy. That way they can work the bugs out and other company's can get software and hardware drivers out.

bigk :)

6. Sirlink

Sirlink

You are not the only one BigK. According to my sourses M$s call vollume for tech help is only like 30% of what they expected. Eather people are waiting or the dang this is too good....LOL I cant beleave i said that with a straight face.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have been running vista RTM for the last two months and have had 0 problems [except for one I caused myself] It is far and away superior to xp.

8. bigk

bigk

lol......

Doesn't that suppose to expire some time this year?

Bigk :)

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The RTM (Released To Manufacturing) should not be expiring. The RC versions will.

10. leojairaj

leojairaj

Where can we get the full free version of the acronis software can you please tell me cjdriver please please help me i want to back up all my mp3ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just get another hard drive and use the Windows Explorer. You don't need to purchase any other software just to copy MP3 files.

Also not sure there is a free version of Acronis available.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is a fully functional 15 day trial version however no free version. If you are serious about data / system backup, I would buy acronis 10 home. It is all of $29.99 at the egg.

13. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed

15 whole days, huh?

Let's see...

By commutative (algabraic) property (or was it transitive), that = 1 vistaboot time, 1 vista tech support call hold time, ...

14. Nixx

Nixx

Dude, can someoone just let me know how to uninstall Vista so that i can install XP to run my games?

THX.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Dude,

"I backed everything up onto my Seagate drive (XP)"

What and how?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice