1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to update Linsys Firmware, but modem in the way....

Discussion in 'Networking' started by migolfergirl, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. migolfergirl

migolfergirl Thread Starter

HI!

I put in my IP address, and get to the modem. I believe there is a way to take my modem out of the mix and update the firmware on my Linksys router, but I'll be darned if I can figure it out. I called Linksys, but they want me to sign up for 90 day tech support, and I need to spend the $$ on a new router if the firmware update doesn't solve my problems! :-/

Can anyone help me?

I have a Motorola SB6141 modem and a Linksys EA6500 router.

Thank you!!

2. Dezgo

Dezgo

Hi Golfer!

I'd just disconnect the modem, and connect directly to the Linksys router. But backing up a step, I would have thought you'd have it setup like this:

Cable from wall to modem. Network cable from modem to router. Network cable from router to computer. Is that right?

Generally the router would be the "DHCP server", so it would be the one assigning IP addresses, and it would be the one listed under default gateway when you run the 'ipconfig' command at the command prompt.

If you're putting in an IP address and getting the modem, maybe you're using the wrong IP address. Run that ipconfig command and check what address comes up under 'default gateway'

Let us know how you go.

Cheers,
    Dezgo.

3. migolfergirl

Hi Dezgo!!

Thank you for your help!

Yes, you are right. This is how I'm hooked up: "Cable from wall to modem. Network cable from modem to router. Network cable from router to computer. Is that right?"

How can I show you the results from ipconfig? I took a picture of the file, but can't find a way to attach it to this reply.

Thanks, Dezgo!

4. Dezgo

Dezgo

At the command prompt, if you right-click, you get a context menu with 'Mark' at the top. Select that, then drag your mouse to highlight all the text, then hit Enter to copy it to the clipboard.

Then you can paste it here.

5. migolfergirl

You make it sound so easy..... (thanks....)

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Deni>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:8:9a80:924:cccd:ece6:9f37:6bed
    Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2601:8:9a80:924:d5b1:fc7:e5be:c557
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cccd:ece6:9f37:6bed%10
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.134
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::4af8:b3ff:fe85:405b%10

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.wa.comcast.net:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

C:\Users\Deni>

6. Dezgo

Dezgo

Haha. Well it's simple once you know how!

So I can see that your default gateway is 192.168.1.1, I'd say that's your router. Is that the address you've been using?

Remember, you'll need to put that address into your web browser (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or whatever you use), to see the interface. You might also need to login. If you haven't gone there before, the login details are probably still the defaults, so try username admin, password admin. If that doesn't work, try password 'password' (no quotes), or just leave blank.

By the way, here's a link to support for your linksys router FYI
    http://support.linksys.com/en-apac/support/routers/EA6500

7. migolfergirl

ok. I've gotten onto the Linksys site now. It seems there is supposed to be an installation CD that hasn't been installed on my computer. A paid "expert" set up my system, and I don't have the CD. Not sure what to do now....

8. Dezgo

Dezgo

Don't worry about that CD. I'd never use the CD when connecting a router, it's not needed.

Just put that address - 192.168.1.1 into your web browser's address bar and you should come up with the router welcome screen. That's where you'll need to be to do this firmware update. Or is that the address you're using, and getting the modem?

9. migolfergirl

No, now I'm getting to the router, and it's the Linksys welcome page. I put in my router model, and I typed in firmware update, and apparently, it is updatable by going to the Linksys device manager, but since the CD was never downloaded, my computer doesn't recognize any Linksys device on board. I think I'm "out of my network" here.

Can you put in my Linksys model # EA6500 and see if you can figure this out? I think it was written for much more highly technical folks than me.... :-(

10. Dezgo

Dezgo

Yeah, updating firmware isn't for the faint hearted!

Have a look at this article
    http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetAr...f_the_Linksys_EA6500_r.xml&pid=80&converted=0

It's a step-by-step guide that hopefully you can follow through.

Basically you'll download the firmware from the linksys website and save it on your computer
    then go to the linksys web interface at 192.168.1.1 and upload it

Let me know how you go.

11. migolfergirl

Dezgo, I have already been there. I put in the Router model info, and click on Downloads, and there is nothing there except some information for first time users. Nothing about firmware upgrades. And there HAVE to be some upgrades, don't there??

12. Dezgo

Dezgo

13. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

At of curiosity are you experiencing websites that fail to connect or a long delay before the website begins to load?

14. migolfergirl

yeah....I've got V2. And all I see is a licensing agreement.

15. migolfergirl

My wifi devices keep disconnecting. I've tried both hard and soft resets....nothing seems to help. This was touted to me as a powerful router that would connect my devices throughout my house. It doesn't even let me connect through 2 walls and a distance of 20 +/- feet. And we certainly can't stream anything without pauses, restarts and disconnects. I'm way beyond frustrated.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice