1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to upgrade, but no idea what I'm doing.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coldviper18, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coldviper18

coldviper18 Thread Starter

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to upgrading hardware on my PC. So I was just wondering if someone could take a look at my specs and tell me what could use an upgrade, and the cost of the upgrade. Or if I just flat out need a new PC(I feel like I do, but I don't really know PC's so maybe just an upgrade.) Thanks in advance.

Machine name: THOMAS
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    System Model: A7N8X-X
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 361MB used, 2100MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
    Card name: SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600 ATLANTIS
    Description: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio

2. BG-0

BG-0

Well, first: what is the PC used for? Games, office, video editing, etc? How much is your budget? (say both upgrade and new pc budgets, if you can think of any) Where do you live?

3. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

Personally, i would just buy a new PC. To upgrade beyond the point where you'd actually notice, you'd need a new motherboard, which will then require you to purchase new RAM and a new CPU. Then you'd want a new graphics card. And you didn't list your hard drive, but I can imagine it is somewhat small. And I'd also recommend upgrading to Vista also. So in total, you'd be looking at about $400 or more for a decent upgrade. So again, I'd recomment buying a new PC. TigerDirect.com has great PCs that aren't too pricey. I'd check there.

Hope this helps.

4. coldviper18

Drive: C:
    Free Space: 22.1 GB
    Total Space: 76.3 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: WDC WD800JB-00ETA0

My computer life is all based around loading lots of music on the PC and playing games. Particularly MMO's such as Warhammer and City of Heroes, to Final Fantasy 11.

I can't really say a specific budget, but I can say this PC I have I bought for around 1500$ about 5 Years ago. I can't say I'd pay that much again, as it feels like from what I've heard I could get better for a LOT cheaper. So I feel like 1500 is a rip off. Even considering the time frame. Of course that does count the monitor and sound. But those seem old as this monitor is a heave arse brick.

But up to 1000$ I think would be my max I would go. Probably less, but I'm sure a good salesman could talk me into it. I'm not very careful with cash.

5. Specsnow

Specsnow

6. coldviper18

Thanks! Thats basically what I needed. Someone to just tell me what to get. I just really would like to play games for once without the choppy-ness and basically having to lower all settings just to get it to run. And the worst is whenever I participate in any massive encounters such as a big pvp battle or massive spells being cast in one spot... Well I basically may as well just take my hands off the keyboard and wait for it to end.

7. Specsnow

Specsnow

Haha. No problem. I know what you mean. The only thing you have to watch is the shipping. They can get kind of pricey. It won't be more than $50 though. So you's still be paying about $450, which still is a great price!

8. BG-0

BG-0

Well, that's a good price for what you get.. Still, I wouldn't get a Vista machine with less than 4 GB RAM (compared to, for example XP machine with 2 GB RAM) Other thing is, it only has an integrated graphics card, so even the oldish games won't be nearly as smooth as the pc would otherwise allow them to be... I don't know if it's even any better than your current gfx card.. :eek:

Still, it'll be quite a boost in speed.

9. Specsnow

Specsnow

Actually, the graphics would be much better than the card he has now. His card is about 3-4 years old, at least, which wouldn't support DX9+, but the on-board one of that machine will, along with Pixel-Shader 2.0.

And Vista will run smoothly with 2GB of RAM. Once upon a time, I had a machine that had 2GB of DDR ram and it ran fine, even with SP1. Granted, it ran better when I upgraded, for someone using XP on an older machine, 2GB DDR2 would be no different than 4GB DDR3. The experience would be better than what he has now, regardless. And for the price, you can't go wrong.

10. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    add more ram! simple & cheap,,,at least a gig.So for under a $100 you get a faster computer,beats spending many $100's..
    that's what i did & i'm satisfied with the performance i now get.(faster)

11. BG-0

BG-0

Upgrading over 1 GB with such a low-end CPU isn't going to give any greater performance boost... With XP, that is, when half of the RAM isn't used by the OS.
    When you upgraded from 256 MB to 768 MB in XP, that, of course resulted in great performance boost. That isn't the case with the OP...

12. Specsnow

Specsnow

Okay, everyone that posts here needs to realize that this person will be upgrading from a relatively old machine. The machine i recommended is pretty cheap in price, and offers a great amount of upgrade compared to what this person had before. Now you can add all kinds of memory, or a faster CPU or a bigger hard drive or anything like that, but the fact still remains; 1) You can run Vista, and almost every other program smoothly with 2GB of RAM; 2) 2GB will be a big improvement already compared to what is in this person's current machine; and 3) This person does not really know the concepts of "upgrading", which is okay, but it is redundant to keep recommending upgrades rather than just finding machines like this person requested. So with all that being said, anybody have any objections? Or a machine they'd recommend instead of the Gateway above? Because that's all this person is looking for; recommendations, not counters on other posts.

13. BG-0

BG-0

I'm just discussing, and do agree that for his ease he should get the Gateway. And anyways, he can add RAM to it, if he happens to need more, or even replace the 667 RAM with Corsair 800 CL4 2x2 GB kit (if compatible). Also a new graphics card could be added (along with a new PSU possibly, if something greater than a gF 8600 GT or so is wanted).

Just concluding, get the Gateway, no matter what. (y) Sry Specsnow if I annoyed you too much with this.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice