Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Want to upgrade Graphic Card, need help deciding which one

501 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  bassfisher6522 
#1 ·
Hi,
I need to update my graphic card so I can play newer games. I need help choosing the right one. Ive read up on how to choose one, but I've no idea what I am reading.
According to my AMD Radeon settings, in order to play some of the games I have I need Radeon R9 290 or better.

Will I be able to use that graphic card when you take into consideration my pc specs?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20190729105908.000000-360
Processor: AMD A10-7700K Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 48 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (783 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. F2A88X-D3H, ver x.x, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 ·
The 3 things to keep in mind when choosing a new GPU.....1 is budget, 2 is power requirements...PSU wattage, 3 is size...will if fit in your case.

As for brand......AMD vs Nvidia for a CPU is like choosing between Intel and AMD for a CPU's ..... it's just that a choice. For bang for buck....AMD is the way to go on both.

From your system specs.....do you have a dedicated GPU installed, an actual GPU card? Download speecy and post screen shot of summary window.

What's your budget and what PSU do you have?

#3 ·
Product Rectangle Font Magenta Screenshot

Even if you add a better graphics card and add another 8 GB of RAM and add a quality power supply with sufficient wattage, you may still be disappointed with gaming quality.

I'm not a hardware/gaming expert, but I don't believe the processor will have sufficient "horsepower" to provide you with what you want.

------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it.

I've added the snip of the Speccy summary.
I have no idea if I have a dedicated GPU?
What does PSU stand for?
Sorry, I'm a complete dunce when it comes to the insides of a pc as far as specs are concerned.

I have a dedicated GPU installed. Total Available Graphics Card Memory: 4578MB

As for budget, it would have to be in the $250 range.

Attachments

#5 ·
I'm confused.....you do or don't have a dedicated GPU. That means an actual separate add on card you add to the mobo. You say you do and then turn around and say you don't.

I have a dedicated GPU installed. Total Available Graphics Card Memory: 4578MB
According the the summary report, you don't. What you are using is the GPU on the CPU. That AMD CPU A10 has a GPU on it.

What does PSU stand for?
Power Supply Unit.

I'm partial to Nvidia GPU's in particular the EVGA brand. Here's a good solid GPU in your price range.
https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-06g-p4-1667-kr/p/N82E16814487446

#7 ·
llanita:

To prevent you from being confused by some of the terminology used here:
CPU refers to a processor.
GPU refers to an integrated graphics device or dedicated graphics card.
PSU refers to a power supply.

The AMD A10-7700K 3.40 GHz quad core processor in your computer has an AMD Radeon R7 integrated graphics device.
If your monitor is connected to a video port in your computer's motherboard panel, it's using this integrated graphics device.
Your log in post #1 and your image in post #4 doesn't show a dedicated graphics card detected and being used.
Go into the Device Manager, then expand the "Display Adapters" heading.
What is the exact name of the device(s) listed there?

---------------------------------------------------------------

#8 ·
I am so grateful to all of you for going above and beyond to help me. I dont want to have to buy anything extra like a cpu or a psu.

flavallee, under Display Adapters it just says AMD Radeon R7 Graphics

I play games like Ghost of a Tale, and Dishonoured, Quern, Thief, etc, and I can play them all, but some of them dont have the best graphics because of the card, and I'd just like to play one of those with amazing graphics. The game play is fine, I dont have any problems with lag or fps or crashes, its just the graphics arent what they should be.
My pc is less than a year old so having to go and upgrade all those things in not in the budget, I can just afford a graphics card for around $250

So if you all think I can get away with buying the card that bassfisher6522 suggested, without buying the other extras then just let me know if it would work.

Please and thank you all again

#13 ·
My pc is less than a year old so having to go and upgrade all those things in not in the budget, I can just afford a graphics card for around $250
You want great GFX you have to pay for it. When you do you have to make sure you can power it. That said I see two options; 1. is to save up for what you want/need....and that price range starts at $500. 2. is you can get a GTX 1050Ti which is way better than that R7 embedded GPU and under your budget of $250. See the link below. That will get through until you save up for a RTX 2070 or RTX 2080/s080Ti

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709 601273503

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.