1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to upgrade graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Megacherv, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Megacherv

Megacherv Thread Starter

I'm wanting to upgrade the graphics cards on my laptop and PC. I just need to know what I need to know these few thnigs:-
    1. What type of graphic card to get for my laptop (current one is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9100, using a Packard Bell Easynote)
    2. Do I need to upgrade motherboard/CPU/RAM before I upgrade the graphics cards?
    3. Is there anything else I need to add/install onto my system before I upgrade my graphics cards?

Thanks to anyone in advance!

(If you don't understand the term 'graphics card', change the word 'graphics' for the word 'video'

2. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

you can't upgrade your video on your laptop as it will be integrated with the motherboard, and there is not point changing the MB on the LT...might as well buy a better one? Maybe some models let you change it, but I haven't seen one...if it does it will be "high end".

for your PC you need to post the Make/model for us to know what type of card it can take. Ram is Cheap so you should upgrade that anyways.

3. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

In most cases, you cannot upgrade the video card on a laptop or notebook. Since laptops are small form, the graphics are always onboard, and cannot be removed such as with desktop PCs. If you were to upgrade the video card on a desktop, you would not need to upgrade the CPU, and in most cases, the motherboard either (as long as you have a free PCI, AGP, or PCI-e slot). Also, be sure to have at least twice the RAM as the video card has memory. For example, if you got a ATI Radeon 9550 with 256MB of memory, then you'd want to have at least 512MB RAM in your PC. More is recommended though. personally, I recommend 4x instead of 2x, but 2x will do. Besides that, you do not have to install or upgrade anything else.

Hope this helps.

4. Compiler

Compiler

Memory on the computer side has nothing to do with memory for the video card. The memory for the video card is there to hold frame data to get it out to the display and store textures.

If you have a little 15" display, 256mb isn't going to be used... a 30" display in 2500x1600 res really needs a 1GB video card to hold that much data. But no big deal as typical video cards today for $40~400 have 512mb. Regardless of your video, you should have 1GB for XP and 2, 3-4GB for Vista.

Depending on your desktop specs, your budget and games you want to play will determine what video card you CAN or should get.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice