want to upgrade mobo on my Dell Dimension 4300

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jhgreene

Hi -
I've got a basic Dell Dimension 4300 that I've had about 5 years. It is now a second computer, but still serves an important purpose for my household. I want to upgrade the mobo so I can have more than 512MB RAM, but I'm afraid of choosing a mobo that won't fit the case or will have the wrong cabling interface. Can anyone suggest a mobo that would work? I'm willing to splurge on a new processor too if necessary, but I don't really want a Celeron. I'd like to be able to have up to 2GB RAM. Needless to say, since I'm upgrading instead of buying new, I want to keep cost to a minimum, although I know a new mobo + RAM will be costly, but still hopefully less $ than a new machine with all the fixin's. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Just remember that whatever motherboard you upgrade to, that you will need a new copy of Windows.

The installed version on the hard drive will not boot or not boot reliably (in fact it can in rare circumstances cause damage to the motherboard) as it loads all the wrong code to the new chipsets.

Then if it did boot, it would not run as it is BIOS locked to the Dell 4300 series motherboard BIOS and in addition MS would reject it as it's OEM and has to die with the motherboard it was first installed on.

Consider doing a swap-a-box complete with pre-installed OEM windows, it may be just as economic as trying to save just the case. Use your old drive as a slave to easily transfer the data.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Since the MB is a proprietary item, it's pointless to try to upgrade that. In truth, you'll need a MB, case, P/S, and most likely now memory, since 5 years is a lot of time for technology.

Forget upgrading that machine and just start fresh. :)

what can you say, "you got Delled dude", just kidding 5 years is a good run, that machine is not practical to upgrade

jhgreene

Ok, I get the picture. Looks like this wouldn't be a good idea. I'm glad I asked. Thanks, everybody!

jhgreene said:
Ok, I get the picture. Looks like this wouldn't be a good idea. I'm glad I asked. Thanks, everybody!
yeah a basic new pc will be cheaper and better than dumping money into an old system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online