1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to upgrade P4 1.7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oufaninmo, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oufaninmo

oufaninmo Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me the chip I need to upgrade my computer, I tried the Intel site but didn't find the information I need on my mother board. This is my info from Belarc Advisor
    Compaq 7006US 470014-517 E41BBCDB
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    1.70 gigahertz Intel Pantium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Board: Intel Corporation
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Intel Corp. GB85010A.18A.0056.P10.GB85010A.1 03/08/2001

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
    I want to upgrade the processer

Thanks
    George

2. sammysosa

sammysosa

The (relatively) SHORT answer to your question is that your motherboard uses one of two sockets to hold your CPU. The ORIGINAL P4, which used RD-RAM memory (RIMMs) has the P4 CPU in a Socket 423, while the NEWER version of the P4 CPU was designed for Socket 478. Those two CPUs are NOT cross-compatible; you CAN'T put a Socket 478 P4 CPU in a motherboard that uses Socket 423, nor vice-versa. You'll have to find out which CPU socket your motherboard uses (Socket 423 or Socket 478), then buy the appropriate CPU.

However, you ALSO need to know which is the FASTEST CPU your system will hold. If your system uses Socket 423, it was discontinued when it reached 2.0GHz, which is only 300MHz faster than the CPU you have now (which is LESS than a 20% improvement in CPU speed), so you would never even notice a difference in performance by changing the CPU.

Of course, there are other factors that come into play here that help me make an educated guess about your system; the BIOS date you've posted (03/08/2001) indicates that you most likely have a Socket 423 P4 CPU, and as I've mentioned, you would never notice any real-world improvement in the performance of the system by installing a 2.0GHz CPU, so it isn't worth the aggravation and expense of making the change.

IIRC, there were some adapters being sold at one time which would allow installing a Socket 478 CPU into a Socket 423 motherboard, but then you'd have to find the adapter, the fastest Socket 478 CPU that would work in the adapter on your SPECIFIC board, and you'd almost undoubtedly have to add some more fans to your system case, along with a good HSF for the CPU itself, in order to deal with the extra heat generated inside the case.

Bottom line is, you're better off saving the money for a faster system; if this system is going to be used for gaming, the outdated video subsystem will cripple the machine.

Good luck; hope this information helps you.

3. msgtgumby

msgtgumby

My computer has a similar date and it's a 423, yours most likely is too. Not worth the upgrade. As the guy above said they only go to 2.0Ghz.

Just curious, why are you upgrading? That's still a pretty fast machine. Hell, mine's a 1.4 and I game on it fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice