1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

want to upgrade to dual core but want to keep my VGA card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sir Psycho, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Psycho

Sir Psycho Thread Starter

I am wanting to upgrade my current machine to a dual core Amd 6000+ and DDR2 Ram.
    as the motherboard market is geared towards PCI-E these days I find myself needing to find a quality board that wont break me financially so that i might continue to use my AGP card.

I am not opposed to PCI-E but spent quite a bit on my 5950 ultra a couple of years back and it preforms remarkably well and i just cant bring myself to replace it.

would like to have a board with both EIDE and SATA controllers( I run Raid/0)
    and supports at least 3 GB of DDR2 Ram.

I'm open to all suggestions and have presently only found a couple of ASrock boards with the specs I desire.I have no experience with ASrock products and am totally ignorant as to the quality of their products.:eek:

As it is probably apparent,cost is the issue here...I spent close to $500 US for that AGP card and I am stubborn and hard headed about wanting to replace it just to get superior performance from a dual core CPU.
    Is DDR3 worth putting this upgrade off for?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My thanks go out to all who read this:cool:

2. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Asrock boards aren't great. They're jointly manufactured by Asus (a quality brand) and Ecs (a not so quality brand). I think Asus just do the designing and Ecs do the rest. Personally i would go with pci-express. I know it's not what you want to hear but there really aren't too many boards supporting ddr-2 and agp. A few years is a long time for a vid card and while i'm sure it performs well agp boards are getting less and less available so for general upgradeability (which imo is always essential with computers) pci-express is the way to go.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice