1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to upgrade video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krazeecrw, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krazeecrw

krazeecrw Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario SR1220nx and am wanting to upgrade the video card. It currently uses onboard video. I do not want to spend alot of money, (<$100) and was hoping to get some recommendations of what card would work with this system

Thanks

2. Jones

Jones

You're pretty limited in what you can add. The specs on your motherboard say you onlny have 3 pci slots. No AGP slot or PCI-Express slot.

Here's an option:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143059

I think you can still find PCI cards that use the 6200 chipset, but they are becoming really hard to find.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. Jones

Jones

Funny you should mention that . . . I had the exact same opinion of the 9250! :)

Not to say he should go one way or the other, because PCI video is tough to live with regardless of the chip.

My wife had a 9250 in her machine that crapped out after 8 months. I put my old 5200 in as a replacement, and it was way better.

Just my experience, for what it's worth. I know some people have very good experience with ATI, I'm just not one of them.

5. krazeecrw

krazeecrw Thread Starter

Thanks....I will shop around and take my chances!! :)

6. CDBongo

CDBongo

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well I certainly agree on the 6200....but as you say it is pricey. I use 9200's and 9250's for years without incident in an era where Nvidia were really expensive and had awful driver and hardware issues, so correct it is all in your expereince.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice