1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to Upgrade Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wogus, Apr 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wogus

Wogus Thread Starter

I'm currently running a Compaq Presario Model 7462 (AMD-K6-II, 500Mhz, 256Meg, and a VIA/Trident MVP4 Video card) with Windows XP Pro. So far all is running smoothly.

I have been told my video card could be better and Windows "XP Plus!" tells me that my current card will not support most of the features. I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks to upgrade my video card, but what ard would you suggest?

I don't know what the important specs are on a video card, but here is a web page that specs my current card:

http://www.via.com.tw/jsp/en/apollo/MVP4.jsp

Any input on a good card to upgrade to would be appreciated.

2. brianF

brianF

Just a note, your chipset is rather old and probably is agp rev 1. A lot of the newer cards need a minimum of agp Rev 2.

If you want to know for sure download this utility and it will tell you what agp rev you have.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=335

It will definitely help is making a correct decision on a vid card

3. Wogus

Wogus Thread Starter

That util will not run under XP :( ...

Seeing as my 'paq has indeed been around a while (3-4 years), can we just go on the assumption that I do indeed have the older chipset and go from there?

Thanks for your help!

4. brianF

brianF

Some of the ati cards may work but my knowledge of them is limited, maybe someone using ati will comment.

Figuring you have agp 1.0 I think I might go to a pci gforce mx card
    see this link, not suggesting this retailer, although I have bought from them, just has info on the card

http://www.computers4sure.com/product.asp?productID=329250&info=Tech#tabs

doesn't list it as being compatible with xp but I would be really surprised if it wasn't, they just haven't updated the specifications as it has been on the market for awhile

and duh, I knew it wouldn't run on xp, don't know what I was thinking or not thinking

5. webbHAWK

webbHAWK

I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 400 on a exstacy card (AGP)
    and I originally had it in my IBM APTIVA which is now about 4
    years old and it worked fine for me. I now have it in a Sony VAIO
    I recently purchased & it's still running great.

6. Wogus

Wogus Thread Starter

Very cool... and less than $100 when I shop around a bit. Thanks for your input guys!

One last question... is a card like this something the "average" user can install? With a little help from TSG, I've installed a new hard drive, and I managed to install my CD-RW all by my self (yea!). Would installing this card get me in over my head?

7. carltasha

carltasha

you wont have any trouble , go for it

8. webbHAWK

webbHAWK

Cards are very easy to install. Just remember to never touch the stuff on the cicuit board 'cause static electricity can really mess it up.

9. brianF

brianF

Your going to have to disable your onboard, that will probably be the biggest headache, not sure exactly how on a compaq.

You might want to check compaq's site

10. Wogus

Wogus Thread Starter

Ummm... "disable my onboard" ... :confused:
    Could you talk that down a little further?

11. webbHAWK

webbHAWK

Onboard video is basically a video card without the card.
    You can't really remove it phisically, so you have to disable it through your BIOS. You'll have to check your documentation on
    how to get to your bios utility 'cause it's different with each pc manufacturer.

12. Wogus

Wogus Thread Starter

Oh great... screwing with my BIOS. I'm no computer genius, but if I understand things properly, isn't the BIOS kind of the "reptilian brain" of this glorified abacus I'm running? I mean, if I screw up the BIOS, isn't the entire computer toast?

If this disabling is relatively "idiot proof", okay I'd be willing to give it a go... otherwise I'm not going to feel too comfortable with the idea. Can someone tell me a little bit more about how much is involved once I'm actually IN this utility (I'll find out how do that from Compaq), or is that too specific to my machine to say?

13. brianF

brianF

After getting a headache trying to find anything at compaq it can be one of two options.

1. Pressing F10 on startup to enter bios, navigate around and look for an option to enable/disable onboard video(doubt this is the one)

2. Change the display to std vga drivers in display properties, settings, advanced, adapter, change button. Don't reboot, go to device manager, display adapter tab, expand, select your current video card, choose properties, check the disable in this hardware profile box. Now shut down, install the new card, reboot, and hopefully windows will recognize new hardware and install the card, use the installation cd to install the drivers, etc.

good luck

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/77900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice