1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to upgrade - which router to choose?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Crash77, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crash77

Crash77 Thread Starter

I'm currently using a WRT54G router to connect a laptop and a desktop PC. But I'm strongly considering upgrading. My main reason for wanting to do this is because of the limited connectivity I get in my home. I only have one good spot to place the router and it still isn't good. One machine connects well but the other doesn't. Moving the router to another spot always degardes the connection to one or the other. Part of this problem is due to the layout of the house.

I've been told the new Linksys WRT160N router is much better. Any thoughts about that?

Also, I see there is a WRT160N Gigabit router. What's the difference?

A salesman at Office Depot recommended a D-Link wireless antenna, but it's about the same cost as either of the Linksys routers so I need to confirm which route is the best.

Thank you!

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

I recommend Belkin, even though it's a low class make according to most people I really like it's stability. I do NOT recommend D-Link, I got a D-Link the other week, and when I tried it, the default gateway timed out every 2-3 pages I visited (which dis-allows you to visit the page you clicked).

3. Crash77

Crash77 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. However, I'm inclined to stay with Linksys as they've been extremely reliable. I really just want to increase the ability of all PCs in the house to access regardless of location. I'm certain the signal has to be stronger, but not sure whether upgrading to a newer router or going with an additional antenna is the way to go.

4. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

the Gigabit is the ethernet speed, no affect on wireless.

If you have an old Linksys WRTxxx router, try using DD-WRT to turn it into a wireless repeater

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In general the range of an 'N' router is better than that of a 'G' router, even with 'G' adapters.

Best to get a router with removable antennas in case you find that you need better ones. Neither of my Belkin routers have removable ones; both my D-Links do.

You seemed to say that if you had two routers (or wireless access points) at particular places you could get coverage for the entire house. If those two places can be connected by an ethernet cable that is the way to go.

6. Crash77

Crash77 Thread Starter

Actually, I meant to say that no matter where I set the one router I have, only one machine gets a strong signal. The best setup is to position the router in my family room alongside the cable box, TV, DVD, etc. That means my wife's PC get an excellent signal. But her office is only about 35' away and it's a straight shot. My laptop is about 55' away but there 3 turns through the family room, around a corner and down a long hallway, and around another corner into my office. I estimate the signal drops by about half.

Do you think the Linksys WRT160N router would solve the signal strength issue?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think it will improve it. Can't give you the answer you want to hear--probably nobody can except some engineer who knows the exact characteristics of the router, exact distances in your house, composition of the walls, angle through the walls the path would take, other possible obstacles, etc.

8. Crash77

Crash77 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try a new router because I'm having major connections with the current one. It's become very frustrating and impacting my attempts to work from home.

9. cap2587

cap2587

Crash77,

This was good post to get some recommendations on a good N router to upgrade too. I am not sold on Linksys router's and feel like their new router's (WRT120N and WRT 610N) are not as good as they should be. If you read the reviews they are mostly okay, but their is some people that totally think these router's are awful. Are the two router's mentioned really any better than the WRT 54GL Linksys Router. Maybe Linksys line of new router's LINKSYS E3000, Linksys E2000 will be better. In my experience walls are the biggest inhibitor to a wireless signal and alot of times you could get a stronger signal from a neighbor than your own network. I run a 50" Ethernet cable to my wife's computer to make sure she gets the strongest speeds possible. I would love some more people to respond to this post regarding some top line router's that they strongly recommend and why they are so high this particular router. I know this can be a little subjective, but I would be interested in getting some more opinions on this topic. Crash77, I din't intend to piggy back your post just hoping some more techguy forum people could chime in on this topic. Good Luck.

ps Callum_Dawson- what Belkin router do you have?

10. Crash77

Crash77 Thread Starter

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice