1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want to view code on a Lotus Symphony program on Windows 98

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by sean106965, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sean106965

sean106965 Thread Starter

Hello, I have a Windows 98 computer with a lotus symphony software on it that I would like to know how to access the code and edit it as needed? I noticed the program is locked from edits with a password that know one would know. Is there anyway to bypass that? I should add the software was written by the former owner of the company I work for and is now deceased and no ones knows the password.

I know very little about programming and nothing about the lotus program or windows 98. The program is currently used to perform a series of calculations. I want to be able to view what calculations are being done behind the scenes and adjust as necessary for updating purposes.

Thanks in advance for any help or information!

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Sorry, but I'm afraid we can't help you with this one. From the Rules page:

3. sean106965

Hello, I have a Windows 98 computer with a lotus symphony software on it that I would like to know how to access the code and edit it as needed?
    I know very little about programming and nothing about the lotus program or windows 98. The program is currently used to perform a series of calculations. I want to be able to view what calculations are being done behind the scenes and adjust as necessary for updating purposes.

Thanks in advance for any help or information!

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

5. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I'm guessing these are macros which are written for the spreadsheet element of the suite, correct? If so, what instructions are performed by the code, i.e. what does it actually do on the spreadsheet?

6. sean106965

Correct, it is in spreadsheet "mode". Ive attempted going to the word processor, graph, and communications and none of those had any data in them. You input a series of variables for tank design and it computes stresses and deflections based on the parameters given, i.e. tank length, width, and depth, specific gravity of fluid, material thickness. I want to see what formulas are being used to perform the calculations and transfer those to a different program that i would put together on Windows 10, most likely in Excel.

7. sean106965

This information appears to be for the later revived Lotus Symphony, the interface does not resemble that of which I have. Can it still be applied?

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Afraid I don't know. Which version of Lotus Symphony?

9. sean106965

From what I can tell, it is Symphony 3. I have included two pictures of the properties window and the interface when opened.

Attached Files:

10. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Wow, that's pretty old. It apparently allowed using something called the "Symphony Command Language (or SCL)". It also had several "add-in applications" that could be "attached" and activated, extending Symphony's capabilities, including a powerful macro manager.

As old and complicated as it sounds, it may be tough trying to find someone still well-versed in it all AND willing to help.

FWIW - more info on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Symphony_(MS-DOS)

11. sean106965

Thanks for the additional info, seems I will have to find a different route.

12. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It's been a long time since I've been near this suite, so bear with me. If you hover the mouse over the cells which contain the formulae, does it not show you the calculation itself; are they hidden?

13. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Your welcome. Best of luck with your endeavor.

14. sean106965

No it doesnt show anything when hovering. attached are two pictures of the format and main screen when i open the program.

Attached Files:

15. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

My apologies, but I've done a lot of reading on this subject and I can't find a way to circumvent this without delving into topics which are not appropriate for the forum.

Perhaps someone else can chime in and offer a more enlightened response.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice