Wanting to be a Server Admin someday...where to start?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Juice13610

So yesterday someone told me to "get certs." How can I "get certs" without any experience at all? I can't imagine too many Windows Server administration courses by Microsoft start from the very beginning.

I don't have an extra computer to install Server 08 or Server 03 or anything.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
The common joke for many years was that it was so easy to get MS certs you could just read a book and take a test. So people would always call those people paper certs. That was proven time and time again, when you would read the news and some 12 year old kid got MCSE certified by just reading the book.

Now I know must of the newer exams are more hands on based and there are alot of books and training courses you can buy to get certified. There are also local places in most cities where they will train you to get certified. But, without knowing what your experience or education is, it would be kind of hard to give you a path to follow.

I personally went to school for Network Administration. Then bought a book about Novell CNA certification. Back then I did have an extra computer to install on but these days you really don't need an extra computer. That is what Virtual Machine software is for. My friend has one computer running 3 different server operating systems that he does all his testing and training on.

A local community college would be a decent place to look for training, but NOTHING beats experience.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online