1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wanting to remove unneeded listed items from the msconfig startup tab

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TMC291, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TMC291

TMC291 Thread Starter

I have searched many times to try and find the answer to how to do this, can anyone help?

What I want to do is this:

When I go to START>RUN>"msconfig">startup tab I have many listed entries that I know are no longer needed on my computer, but have yet to find a way to delete them.

For example: My mom wanted me to download this TalkingBuddy program for my son, I did it, thought it was stupid so I uninstalled it. To me all components should be removed from the computer. However, when I go to START>RUN>"msconfig">startup tab I still see an entry for TalkingBuddy that can be checked to run at startup.

There are several other entries like this that I know I don't need and would like to know how to remove them. I also suspect that there might be some entries on there that look like they are needed but actually belong to other uninstalled or deleted programs.

Secondly, if anyone knows how to find and remove files that go to programs that linger around after you have uninstalled the program can you please tell me how to do that also. By this I mean for instance, that I have uninstalled Norton and now use Mcaffee, but there are still files that belong to symantec on my computer. I suspect that there are many other useless files from programs no longer on my computer that can also be deleted as well.

I just want to rid my computer of all the junk ya know? Can anyone help?

2. godseeking

godseeking

im no pro but if you check selective startup in msconfig and then uncheck any program that you dont want to start at start up it wont! to remove programs go to add remove programs and find the ones you dont want or need the unchecked items in msconfig that are no longer installed can be removed by edditing registry but they do no harm there you can also do a search for files to find items in there and then delete them but as always be carfull what you delete

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Msconfig is intended for diagnostic purposes. It is a good idea to keep it clean of old, unused entries so that you can use the normal startup check box and be warned if anything changes your startup configuration, as you want to do.

Editing the registry is the usual way to remove these old entries. But Startup Control Panel allows you to remove them from the registry (and therefore from msconfig) and still keep them in a "Recycle Bin" that you can use to restore those entries later if you want. And it saves looking through the registry, risking making a mistake.

Enable all those old startups in msconfig by checking the normal startup box and then use SCP to remove them:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Services should not be controlled from msconfig anyway, but from the Services applet in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services.

If you want to remove startups manually, this shows startup locations you will need to modify:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=44

4. TMC291

TMC291 Thread Starter

Thanks ELVANDIL, that SCP program was helpful...and did what I needed it to do.

I will also check out the tutorial you sent me to.

Do you know how I can tell which entries are to programs or services that are no longer needed? So that I can delete all the crap.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can run Autoruns. Click all the boxes under the View menu. Look through the list and see which ones say, "File not found", or similar. Those things no longer exist. You can remove them from within Autoruns, or you can switch over to SCP to save them in case they need to be returned.

6. TMC291

TMC291 Thread Starter

Thank you! All of that helped as well.

This has been really helpful, I appreciate it.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're very welcome. Many people avoid using third-party tools for things like this, preferring to use solely what Windows provides. I don't really understand that thinking, unless it is fear of change, since Windows sometimes gives you spoons to butter your bread. They work, but why use them when other things exist?

Happy computing :D.

8. jephree

jephree

Just wanted to mention that this "safety" feature also exists within Autoruns. From the Help File:

9. TMC291

TMC291 Thread Starter

Whatever works! If MS doesn't give you what you need, then I'm all for doing it with a little outside help. This program did exactly what I wanted it to do. thanks again

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Thanks for posting back and for the tip on Autoruns.:D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!