1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wants solution

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sksvats, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sksvats

sksvats Thread Starter

dear sir,
    I am planning for VPN server ,which connect anywhere including different branch offices with central office,over which i am using video confrencing devices,voip,pcs,biometric machines etc.

1.is any drawback or benefits if use same ip pool for all equipments and lan for all my centers.
    or
    different ip pool for same devices
    or
    different ip pool for different locations but same ip for all equipments
    for better network infrastructure.

waiting for your reply
    Thanks.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You would need different subnets for each site if you are using a layer 3 VPN connection which is pretty much what is used all the time. If you use the same subnet at two or more sites, you'll run into routing issues and traffic will not traverse over the VPN tunnel between sites even if the VPN tunnel is configured correctly. The alternative is to use NAT to mask the subnets being the same.

Alternatively, you can use a layer 2 MPLS VPN. But this requires routers capable of MPLS support and specific support at the provider level. Also, VPNs with MPLS are not the same as VPNs in the common sense. The traffic sent over a VPN with MPLS is NOT encrypted. It is tagged at the layer 2 frame creating a virtual circuit very similar to how VLANs work.

3. valis

valis Moderator

sksvats, I've edited out your email, as that is an excellent way to get yourself on some spam lists.

thanks,

v

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice