1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Waol

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by porridge, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. porridge

porridge Thread Starter

HELP!

Quite often, when I get on to the net, I am being cut off with the following error message:

Waol:
    This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
    WAOL caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL...

AOL then closes itself and the connection is lost. I have noticed that it is not always KERNEL32 - sometimes it is a SUPERSUB module.

The problem happened occasionally before, but has got much worse since I upgraded from AOL 6.0 to AOL 7.0.
    My operating system is Windows 95.

does anyone have a clue what is causing this??

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

3. porridge

porridge Thread Starter

tried the virus scan first - didn't find anything.

have now tried your second suggestion (i.e. to delete and reload AOL) + will let you know if problem reappears.

thanks.

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

5. porridge

porridge Thread Starter

unfortunately, the problem remains as bad as ever.

I've been in contact with AOL who suggested several things: more virus scans. determining if POINT32.EXE is outdated, repairing Internet Explorer, checking which version of KERNEL32.DLL was on the computer (+ suggesting upgrades for some versions), checking that I had Microsoft DUN 1.3, and copying the Main.idx file from the Backup folder to the IDB folder (which they said was a fault on AOL 7.0)

none of these things (nor the deleting + reinstalling of AOL suggested here) worked + the conclusion of the AOL help was that it is a system problem. So they couldn't help.

So as for my system - a while back, I had a problem with KERNEL32 crashing my computer. It turned out to be scanner software (I don't have a scanner). It's possible that the Waol error message started to appear after that, but I'm really not sure.

Next, I seem to be having a problem with ScanDisk at the moment which isn't finishing - I'm getting the message "ScanDisk restarted 10 times etc...". I've tried to resolve it by closing all programs (except Systray and Explorer) + by running it in safe mode, but no change. I was hoping that a thorough scan + defrag might find the problem.

Finally, I should add to my first post: the error message often relates to module KERNEL32.DLL, but not always. Sometimes it is MSVCRT.DLL, sometimes SUPERSUB.DLL.

I look forward to reading any suggestions anyone may have.

6. beach51

beach51

7. porridge

porridge Thread Starter

cheers for the suggestion, but don't have that software installed
    in general, have checked out the Microsoft website + not found anything that worked.

thinking about replacing my operating system as Windows 95 is quite old now. Does anyone have any recommendations? (500Mhz Pentium III processor)

8. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Stay away from ME.

Whatever you do, now would be a good time to do a complete wipe of the hard drive and start from scratch.

You did not state how much ram you have, but I have a PII 400 here in the office with 192 megs that is running windows 2000 just fine. It even has a piece of junk video card in it. (Of course it is not used for gaming).

XP can be a hit or miss proposition for a PC of that age. Before even checking on buying it, get the XP upgrade advisor and run it on your computer. Keep in mind, that XP likes the Ram. Microsoft says that it will run on 64 megs with limited functionality, and they are not kidding. They recommend 128 megs. My 1 gig machine was sluggish with XP at 128. At 256 it runs very nice.

9. FrustratedAmy

FrustratedAmy

AOL is notorious for causing problems. I have been on it for 5 years. I would suggest you get an AOL 5 version. (In the old days, it was on the disk with the new version and if you didn't have the necessary hardware or disk space it automatically installed the old version. Maybe it is still on their CDs.) The newer versions may just be too much for the machine! I got 6 to install on our W95 machine, but I had to manually delete and retype the access numbers every time I signed on! 6 and 7 also put alot of extra files on your computer that don't go away when you uninstall. I believe installing AOL 7 on my other machine was the culprit when ALL my IE browsers refused to function (including the AOL browser). Also, try going on and off line enough times to make sure they have updated you completely with all their "new features". Sometimes that fixes the bugs.

Amy

10. Signature

Signature

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">After searching, the most plausible answer that I could find to your "WAOL caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL" error message, was at http://www.tufftest.com/pctbx-content-5.htm, although the site is a bit dated.
    Still, it may be of some use to you:

</font>

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice