WAP with WPA in Repeater Mode

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crcook84

I am attempting to upgrade my wireless network to something more modern. I should have done this sometime ago. But, I had some WG302s that I was able to keep working for several years. However, two managed to go down within a 2 to 3 week period of time. So, I've gotten fed up with them. I plan on getting a couple of Trendnet access points because they're cheap yet reliable. I was going to go with the cheapest model. But, before I do, I was going to try to get the one that could do repeater mode while still using WPA security. So, are there any Trendnets that do WPA while in repeater mode? If not, are there any wireless access points that do WPA while in repeater mode?

TerryNet

Terry
I would think that any WAP that does not support WPA has long been discontinued. Most models in the last several years also support WPA2. The thing to look out for is that some will only work as Repeater or Wireless Bridge if the "master" AP supports WDS.

crcook84

I would think that any WAP that does not support WPA has long been discontinued. Most models in the last several years also support WPA2.
I rather figured that most WAPs will support WPA or WPA2 by now if not discontinue WEP. That wasn't a concern. What I was wondering is if the repeater mode on the WAP can work with WPA. The WG302 does repeater mode. But, it can only do repeater mode with WEP. As such, I want to make sure that my next WAP will do repeater mode with WPA.

Granted, I appreciate the advice:

The thing to look out for is that some will only work as Repeater or Wireless Bridge if the "master" AP supports WDS.
I did know that if one WAP was going to work in Repeater mode that all the "links" in the chain had to have Repeater mode enabled. Although, it wasn't until now that I found out the wireless interconnection system was referred to as WDS (wireless distribution system). Thanks awful.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online