1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Warcraft 3 on Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by TaKeN_ZA, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TaKeN_ZA

TaKeN_ZA Thread Starter

I recently installed Vista Ultimate and everything seems to be working fine besides my wireless (dont care about that atm) and my Warcraft 3

When I try to open it if gives me the follow message:

Warcraft III was unable to initialize DirectX. Please ensure you have DirectX 8.1 or newer installed and that your display drivers are current. DirectX may be found on your Warcraft III install CD under Options.

Iv tried "run as administrator" and compatibility thing. I also tried to download DirectX 9.0c and install that...that didnt work.

Currently I am running DirectX 10 and I think that is what is causing the problem.

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.ph...atibility_List -- says it should work in ME and so on...tried that ...didnt work

Iv spoken to 1 guy that said his Warcraft 3 is working fine for him and his friends on Vista. Maybe it has something to do with my hardware also...GFX maybe.

Iv got XP and Vista installed...on dif partions and the PC im using:
    Dell Inspiron 9100
    Radeon 9800 256mb - with latest drivers
    3.0Ghz P4 HT
    1gig ram

Theres gotta be someone out there that can help me ...plz...:confused:

2. Blockis

Blockis

All you need to do i this:

1. Find the WarCraft 3 Icon (Preferably on desktop)
    2. Right click on the icon
    3. set the compatibility mode for: Windows XP (SP2)
    4. Shut down firewall (for accessing Battle.net)

I hope this helps. I have really been tryin to find out a way to make it work. :)

EDIT: No need for Direct X it wont ask you again if in the right compatibility.

3. moreovaltineplz

moreovaltineplz

i've a similar problem. just got vista ultimate. i can install warcraft 3 and play it just fine. but when i go to install frozen throne it stops about 1/4 of the way when it's at war3x.MPQ. it just stays there and doesn't move. it's not frozen cause i can still control alt delete and end task, which is what i do. then after that if i try to start up reign of chaos it says "this application has failed to start because mss32.dll was nto found. re-installing the application may fix this problem." after that, it says something about the disc not being in the computer. i've uninstalled and re-installed...and then wc3 runs fine. i tried to install frozen throne...same thing. what do i do? i downloaded mss32.dll for some reason...even though the file never moved. why can't my computerlocate it? it's still in the wc3 folder. and....why won't frozen throne install, more importantly. thanks so much

4. golden-shadow

golden-shadow

Hey, i installed my warcraft 3 onto my computer and it works great when i'm playing single player, but when i go to get on battle.net i can get on as soon as i instal the program BUT as soon as i close the program and re-open it,it tells me that i don't have enough hard drive space and to make some more space, thing is i have 28.5 gb free and i just defreagged my computer and all that stuff, i even took my computer to a few local computer stores and they said my hard drive was fine. i ran the update as adminustrator and as compatability mode of windows xp sp2 and that went fine but still cannot get on battle.net...any tips?

5. kbutron

kbutron

HI. Actually I just installed W3 RoC and TFT but not tried to conect to internet. This must be just a hint or something but my brother told me that the way Vista saves changes in Registry is different than Xp or other versions. If that's so, then the problems connecting to online games is definetly that the route that is used in XP registry is totally different so it wont get registered as it should be. I will do my research and let you all know if I find someway to deal with it.

By the way, just finished installing and everything is cool so... we will see what happens online.....

Be cool

6. Blockis

Blockis

Hmmm... Not that I know of...

7. golden-shadow

golden-shadow

hey i actually figured out how to fix it, i messed around with it, i ran the program with xp sp2 capability, instead of using the program to instal the online patch i downloaded it myself and ran that in compatability mode with xp sp2 and it works great.

8. Blockis

Blockis

Its that simple!

9. golden-shadow

golden-shadow

yup i was kind peezed when i figured it out.

10. adidasx4l

adidasx4l

I have Vista Home. Installed Wc3 and updated patch. Game does not load. Stays at the wc3 load up screen. Computer freezes.

I used compatability mode with xp sp2 already. does not work

What do I do, to fix it?

11. golden-shadow

golden-shadow

Hey
    I would try uninstalling wc3 and then instal it agian, use compatability with xp sp2 when installing, b4 u instal the patch go to ww.blizzard.com and get the most updated patch, at that time instal the patch urself and not on the ingame process and use windows xp sp2 compataability as well, if ur computer crashes when loading the game then thers is something wrong with ur computer, mayb you don't have enough ram or sumthing to run vista and warcarft, i know when i fist upgraded my computer to vista i had to get another 512 to run it properly because my 1gb of ram wouldn't cut it even though vista states it only needs 1 gb of ram.

12. hellghast

hellghast

I have another problem with Warcraft III on Vista.
    When I open it it runs fine, but its not set to full screen it runs at the resolution (lower than desktop),but I have two black stripes on the sides. Also another game run just in part of screen. I think the problem is that screen doesnt change desktop resolution to resolution of application. PLZ help

13. adidasx4l

adidasx4l

Ya i works, I had to use the CD to run it. I first tried running it with deamon tools, with no luck. That why it froze up on me. Don't know why deamon tools does not work. Anyone know y?

14. sr240sxt

sr240sxt

Hey guys,

I've tried everything here that I know how to do but I have Vista Premium 32bit and Frozen Throne. I try to play online but battle.net runs realllly slow and I am perpetually lagging all the games I join. Even logging in and refreshing the games list hangs there for awhile before they show up. Starcraft works perfect and no lag issues there...

I have a D-Link DI-624 Router on a 6mb/s cable setup so there should never be any issues with lag/slowness. I just reformatted the HD and reinstalled Vista to make sure nothing was messed up there. I'm also on DMZ and a Static IP bypassing the ports on the router.

I have no clue what's going on but it's annoying and I'd really like to play online. Anyone have experience with this???

Thank you!

15. Blurk

Blurk

*revive* sorry to do that but its related to the subject.

every time i start WC3, my screen goes black, on stand by, but only when i am (trying to) play(ing).
    any ideas on preventing my screen going black?

thanks in advance.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice