1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Warcraft 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by guitarist968, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guitarist968

guitarist968 Thread Starter

Hey guys.

I have 2 computers on a LAN. One has Warcraft 3 installed. I want to install it on the other computer to play on a LAN. Is there any way to do this or do I have to buy another copy of Warcraft 3?

2. McTimson

McTimson

Hmmm....not sure, but I would think that you have to buy another copy. I don't know if it has any cd-key checking stuff for LAN play, so you might as well give it a shot...the legal way to do it though is to buy another copy.

3. guitarist968

well i know with Starcraft you can install up to 8 "spawns" on other computers on a LAN, and with CS three comps will work with the same CD key, but with Warcraft, the cd is required to play the game, unlike the others.

4. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

email blizzard and ask them to make an update to make it not

ask for your cdkey on LAN because its not fair.. lol

5. guitarist968

ok well i just wanted to know if there is any way to play WC3 on a 2 computer LAN with one copy of the game.

6. guitarist968

so can i play WC3 on a LAN with one CD or not?

7. McTimson

McTimson

Try it out and see.....the worst that could happen is an error message comes up saying 'that cd-key is in use' or something.

8. guitarist968

Whenever I try opening the game without the CD there is a error message saying insert the CD.

I tried burning the CD (not for giving away but only for my other computer, so dont close this message) and used it in the other computer and for some reason it still said to insert the CD.

any ideas?

9. McTimson

McTimson

That's because the CD has copy protection methods to make it so you can't just burn the CD and give it to someone else. Most CD burning programs (Nero, Easy CD Creator) don't burn the protection stuff, so it won't work. And don't try and ask where you can get software that will burn it, because we can't help with that here.

10. guitarist968

i dont want to burn it. the only reason i did was so i could try to play over the LAN.

my question is: can i play warcraft 3 over a LAN with just one copy of the cd?

11. McTimson

McTimson

No, because each computer needs a CD in the drive.

12. guitarist968

If that is true, could you answer a question for me...

Down at all of my local internet cafes, all computers have warcraft 3. None of the computers have the cd in the drive, trust me, i looked.

How can they play it without the CD?

13. McTimson

McTimson

Either by using a CD drive simulator, which runs the CD off the hard drive, or with a no-cd crack. Either of which are not supported on the forums, due to the potential piracy issues.

14. guitarist968

oh, i see. so the internet cafes are doing something illegal...

15. McTimson

McTimson

Well, running it off the drive isn't necessarily illegal, it's just that it can be used in illegal ways, so we can't really discuss it here...as long as they follow the game's EULA, they're fine. So basically, as long as they buy a copy of the for each computer, and don't have each computer running off the same copy, it's ok.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice