1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wardriving and my wireless

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Wonder Girl, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wonder Girl

Wonder Girl Thread Starter

Hi,

I don't know whether I should be asking this question here or not and I'm not very computer savvy. I use a linksys wireless connector and recently found a unfamiliar name on my connection enabler.

I don't know who or what "fredric" is (the person showing up in my connection). My operating system is Winxp and I use McAfee Firewall. My system is free of viruses, etc. I tried having my brother make my connection more secure but for some reason or another he couldn't do it. :confused: Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    these are just wireless networks transmitting your range - if you live in a flat in the city centre as a mate of mine does he gets about 20 networks.

so does you neighbour have a wireless network installed.

i would make your wireless secure with wep codes - as frank my be able to pick and use your wireless access

this is a bit of free software which picks up all wireless networks and provides info , such as channel / power etc

Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

3. Wonder Girl

Does this mean that he could access everything on my computer?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not really depends if you have set up any sharing - it does mean he could use your internet connection and bandwidth.

but same goes for you - you can connect to his if its not secure :) DONT DO IT - its not ethical

5. Wonder Girl

;) Thanks for your help.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how dense is the area you live in??
    you may find people steal your bandwidth - that means they use your network connection and you will suffer by have reduced speeds.

to set up a secure wireless network is quite easy.

1) you can possibly set the router to not broadcast the SSID - this is the name of the network - thats how you found fredrik as he is braodcasting. On SOME wireless devices you can switch off this broadcast - so no one in your area will detect your wireless automatically.

2) set up wep codes - this are numbers you enter into the router - and in order for a PC to connect via wireless to your router it will also need to have the exact numbers - so its like a password to connect.

if you want some help settig this up.

post here
    1) the windows operating system you have
    2) the make/model of the wireless router
    3) the make/model of the wireless cards in your PC's

heres some generic info on wireless
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1277381,00.asp
    http://www.oreillynet.com/wireless/2003/03/21/home_wifi.html?page=2#guidelines

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice