WARM Cathode!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maxibhoy

Ok i bought a cold cathode the other day just off ebay. It's just a cheap thing. But when i set it up in my case today and left it there for a bit i discovered it isn't so cold at all. There's really a considerable amount of heat coming from it and more heat is the last thing i want in my case just now so anyway my question is. Do these devices usually still radiate a considerable amount of heat (as this is the first one i've ever owned) or if i got a more expensive one is it likely to be more efficient at keeping heat to a minimum. Thanks Max.

This is from a web definition:
Despite their name, cold cathodes don't necessarily remain cold as they operate; they can get painfully hot. In systems using alternating current but without separate anode structures, the cathodes alternate as anodes and the impinging electrons can cause substantial localized heating, often to red heat. The cathode may or may not take advantage of this heating to facilitate the thermionic emission of electrons when it is acting as a cathode. (Instant start fluorescent lamps definitely do employ this aspect; they start as cold-cathode devices but soon localized heating of the fine tungsten wire cathodes causes them to operate as ordinary hot cathode lamps.)

maxibhoy

Hmmm, Well i'm not sure if i'm going to put it back in. But the lights lovely.
Reffering to the passage posted by Griffinspc i'm not sure exactly what it's saying. Does it mean that after prolonged and sustained use it will start operating just as a warm cathode or that it's like that all the time?

LOL. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_cathode

or it could be worse;

Cold catheter
An apparatus was developed to prevent the freezing of catheter contents during blood sampling or liquid infusion into animals maintained at sub-freezing temperatures. The apparatus consisted of a larger, outer set of plastic and copper tubes and a smaller, inner set of tubes. The catheter was passed inside the inner set. Water circulated through the outer set kept the contents of the catheter inside the inner set from freezing. The apparatus was also useful for the rapid cooling of blood to a predetermined temperature while a sample was being withdrawn from an animal.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online