Warning About QUICKTIME 7.0.4

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you haven't upgraded to this version yet, DON'T!

A warning is out that this new version is causing problems for a lot of people, so stick with the older version for now.

I'm currently using version 7.0.3.50 and had the new version downloaded and saved, but hadn't installed it yet. Whew!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well still using QT Pro 6.5.2 here but I got 98SE so that is the newest I can have.

Squashman said:
Using QuickTime Alternative. Problem Solved. :)
I totally agree, I have been using it for some time and haven't had any conflicts on my computer what-so-ever.

Does QuickTime Alternative work for any QT program.

I mean when you have other programs that are made to use QT like some image programs I have .

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Here is the text from the article that I read:

A security update to Apple Computer's popular QuickTime media player software is being blamed for causing problems for some Mac OS X and Windows users.

People have reported a variety of glitches on discussion boards on Apple's Web site. Mac OS X users appear to be having the most trouble, including deleted applications and files, unplayable movie files and the disappearance rights to use the professional version of QuickTime, according to postings on Apple's support forum.

Apple released the update, QuickTime 7.0.4, on Tuesday to fix a handful of serious security vulnerabilities. The flaws put computers running Microsoft's Windows and Apple's Mac OS X operating systems at risk of being commandeered by an outsider. An attacker could exploit the flaws by tricking the user into opening a malicious file, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company said.

But Apple's patch apparently has bugs of its own. One user, "Erik Nanstiel," wrote on an Apple forum: "I'm having lots and lots of problems after upgrading to the latest QuickTime. Now I'm contemplating reinstalling my entire system just to get rid of the cursed upgrade."

Some who installed the new version of QuickTime on Windows PCs say the media player is having trouble connecting to the Internet after installing the update. Other Windows users report not being able to download the software at all when they use the update feature in QuickTime itself.

Apple has published a tool for Mac OS X users that removes the suspected culprit, QuickTime 7.0.4, and restores QuickTime 7.0.1, according to the Mac maker's Web site. People in the forums also report that QuickTime 7.0.4 was pulled from Apple's Web site for some time and then reposted.

An Apple representative was unable to respond to a request for comment.

I did forget to mention that this effects Windows XP users only because Windows 98/98SE/ME users can't use any version that's newer than 6.5.2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hewee,
I don't know about the programs you have, but I haven't run across anything on the web that the QT Alternative hasn't worked on, either Audio or Video.

How nice flavallee what you just posted because I could not play some QT files so was thinking it was because I have 6.5.2 and need the newer 7.x version or I was missing something that was needed. I ran the update and there was not anything to update. But then I ran the other update that lets you pick what you can update and I picked all of then that was listed that it said there was a update available for. But still I could not play the QT file I wanted to play so my guess is I need QT 7.x.
It also added to the startup C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QUICKTIME\QUICKTIMEUPDATEHELPER.EXE

Quicktime Updates - QUICKTIMEUPDATEHELPER.EXE

QUICKTIMEUPDATEHELPER.EXE installs with Quicktime 5.x and 6.x. It runs when you download updates for your Quicktime software. One of the things this program does is pass along the number of downloaded updates to "Quicktime Update Completion". That then reports to you the number of updates successfully downloaded. This file should not need to be running all the time.

http://www.winpatrol.com/db/dbinfo/quicktimeupdatehelper.html?quicktimeupdatehelper

I disable it from the startup with WinPatrol. I know it is something new because I never had that before.

But now if I click on the web something that opens WMP it does the connecting and looks like it is downloading the file but it does nothing. I can click the stop button but it will not work. Then if I go to close WMP it will not close. I have to do a CAD to close WMP>
All this started after I did the QT updates I did.

Thanks Augie65, Got programs like Bryce, Poser, Ulead GIF Animator 5.
But I used QT if I make a Animation in Bryce or Poser to save the Animation. Then if they are not to big I can open them in Ulead GIF Animator 5 and save then as a .gif.
So that is why I have QT. Jusy do not know if it will work without QT if I have QT Alternative only or not.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The only time that I use QuickTime on-line is when I go to a website that requires it to open something, otherwise I only use its PictureViewer applet to open and view photos.

I have the automatic update function turned off, and I have qttask.exe disabled in the MSCONFIG startup tab list.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have qttask.exe disabled also.

So can I also play QT 7 files with QuickTime Alternative on 98SE?
Updated QuickTime components to version 7.0.4.80 is what it says so guess they mean it plays QT 7.x files.

Opps I can only get Version 1.55

Installing default codecs on Windows 98/ME
http://www.codecguide.com/faq/Adding_and_Removing_Default_Codecs_in_Windows_98.htm

I wonder if I unchecked everything and ok my way out and rebooted and then went back and checked them again if that would fix things with WMP?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online