1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Warning CPU has changed Enter CPU setting in CMOS

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by eppa.jp, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eppa.jp

eppa.jp Thread Starter

Hi,

little problem here. Just bought myself a Shuttle XPC Barebone black, Intel G33 ,775, PCI-E, 3xSATA, GbLAN, 250W PSU. My problem is that after putting in my Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz, Socket LGA775, 6MB, 1333Mhz, wich my shuttle supports (didn't use the original fan) i get this error message on startup: Warning CPU has changed Enter CPU setting in CMOS remember to save and quit, or something like that. Now I've just been skipping it and using my new pc as normal and it woks fine, on startup now I barly see the message, it was only few first times i turnwed on my computer this read.

I tried to go into the CMOS but didn't really know what to do once there.
    So my question i guess is, is this something i can ignore, or should i do something about it and if so how?

I cant notice any real performance issues but don't know if I'm getting full use of my CPU.

Please help, don't want to ruin my computer.

2. racock

racock

eppa.jp,

It won't be doing you any harm, it's just alerting to let you know that it's changed, from what it remembers. They'll be a way somewhere in your BIOS (or maybe on boot) to acknowledge the change, that you'll want to do at some point, just to get rid of the annoying message.

Might want to look at the book / docs that came with your Motherboard for distructions on how to 'ok' it. If the barebone PC didn't come with any, then see if you can see a sticker on the motherboard itself, and either search the net for it, or post the results back here, and we'll take a look for you.

rich.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Usually when this happens, you simply need to enter the bios and save settings then restart.
    As a general rule when swapping cpus, I always clear cmos when I have the case open. This insures that the cpu is detected correctly, correct voltage applied, AND prevents the error you are receiving.

Just remember that when you clear cmos, you must then reenter any custom bios settings such as boot order, etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice